How Should I Store A Filled Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might sound noobish then, but why prime with sugar at all if you can prime with co2, knowing its clean then store till use or top up occasionally?

or is this more a personal thing and/or something ppl do to build certain characteristics in a beer?

The idea behind using sugar is to give the yeast enzymes something to work on as apposed to breaking down the flavour components and oxidizing your precious brew.

The idea behind using sugar is to give the yeast enzymes something to work on as apposed to breaking down the flavour components and oxidizing your precious brew.

Sorry? Care to elaborate?

I use adjunct quiet often actually like flaked maize, belgian candi sugar, brown sugar. I didn't say I see adjunct's as "not useful" I said dextrose tastes like shit mate.
Us "noobs" will just have to stick to better beer ay?

Lol :rolleyes: I'm with nick 100% on this one. Trying brewing a big beer then quickly get sick of drinking thick sweet syrup, and realise you should have use dextrose for those last 40 points in OG.

I prime mine with dextrose for a few reasons, save a little gas, maturation, and I don't have space in the kegerator to keep all kegs cold so store them in the cupboard the same as my bottles.
Chris

Lol :rolleyes: I'm with nick 100% on this one. Trying brewing a big beer then quickly get sick of drinking thick sweet syrup, and realise you should have use dextrose for those last 40 points in OG.
Really? with Nick on what one? At what point did I say I was brewing a big beer with dextrose? I just don't get it buddy.

Another thing is I use premium pilsner dry malt extract for my last 40 points haha god damn.

Really? with Nick on what one? At what point did I say I was brewing a big beer with dextrose? I just don't get it buddy.

No, I'm with Nick in saying that dex is a useful adjunct. If you're using all malt for 1100+ beers you're doin it wrong.

Yeast oxidise beer now? ****'s sake, no wonder new brewers on here get confused sometimes.

I'm only new to the game, but pretty sure once there is no sugar and/or Fermentables left, then the yeast will go dormant (may die eventually) but essentially not change beer flavour?

I prime mine with dextrose for a few reasons, save a little gas, maturation, and I don't have space in the kegerator to keep all kegs cold so store them in the cupboard the same as my bottles.
Chris

Thanks Chris. i read here http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/HomeBrewi...rewingTips.html after reading your post that yeast will impart better flavour, mellow a beer and improve flavour if allowed to secondary ferment, which sounds like what you are achieving by doing this in a keg?

Or am i confused and this needs to be done in a fermenter to achieve the results the link is talking about.

Yeast oxidise beer now? ****'s sake, no wonder new brewers on here get confused sometimes.

I think that there's some garbled knowledge that's unwittingly ended with a nearly sensible answer.

Transfer to keg (if done like most slackers - me included) can introduce a bit of air into the beer. If you are then storing this keg at room temp, for a few months - it's going to probably show some signs of oxidation.

If however, you add some priming sugaz at this point then the yeast will need to breed up again resulting in them clearing any oxygen. Also (my point) is that actively metabolising yeast are also better at fighting off competing bacteria and wild yeasts (yes, they are in there) at room temp than a super-clear flat wort. Maybe this part is just me dreaming, but priming stored kegs makes me feel better about them. Makes the kegs feel more "alive" and less "stagnant and oxidising and generally breaking down".

No the actual quote refers to yeast enzymes. You can filter the yeast from the beer but the enzymes remain.
An enzyme is a substance which breaks down bonds, and oxidation can occur without air getting mixed in with your beer.
A freshly krausened beer, (including one with sugar added), will outlast a fully attenuated beer of the same recipe added to a keg at the same time, by at least a couple of weeks.
And there's a lot more I could say but I can't be bothered. <_<

Latest posts

Back