How Should I Store A Filled Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyBee

Reaction score
Hi all,If I am to store a filled corny keg for a while how should I go about it?Should I keep it cold and with some gas in it? If so how much gas?It's a Euro lager.
Thanks guys!

If it was mine Anthony I would have it at 3 degrees and 70 kpa.

Hey razz,Thanks for that, it won't be connected to my co2 though as I have another keg running at the momentI was thinking of pumping some gas into it and keeping it in my fridge, do you think it will keep for a while?

Hey razz,Thanks for that, it won't be connected to my co2 though as I have another keg running at the momentI was thinking of pumping some gas into it and keeping it in my fridge, do you think it will keep for a while?

Carbonate it, and keep it in a fridge. Will last for years. Hop aroma might diminish though

Don't need to keep it connected once its carbonated.

Edit: and yes, I have an entire fridge dedicated to cold storing kegs ;)

As Stux said, carbonate as you would normally & store cold for maximum shelf life.
Highly unlikely it will last years, it's an unpasteurised product & will eventually turn bad. How long it lasts is really down to how contamination free it is at this stage & how cold you store it (colder the better). The higher the alcohol & the higher the hopping will also extend its shelf life.

Cheers Ross

Thanks guys,It's only for a few days as I should easily be able to knock over the other keg.All my questions once again answered.......Thanks!

Perhaps I should of said "a year or two"

I've finished a few kegs which have been stored for 18 months, all have been great, but certainly not the same as when they were young.

I want to build a stash of kegs but don't have the room in the fridge.... do many people just gas and store in a cool part of the shed/house? and does it make that much difference if your gonna drink it within a couple of months?

I fit three kegs in my fridge and other 4 sit in the office cupboard. I prime mine with dextrose and leave in cupboard to carbonate. No problems so far after a few months.
Chris

I give mine a blast of co2 at about 300kpa to make sure it's all sealed, then just leave it wherever (out of the sun preferably). I've had a couple that have sat warm and uncarbonated for over 2 years, both just happened to be two of my favourite beers to date! A baltic porter and a Rye IIPA.

That said, I store cold with gas hooked up wherever possible.

Great, thanks for the info! should be kegging another in the morning so that will be left in a cool place to await its demise... :chug:

If I'm storing a keg at room temp for a few weeks I feel better priming it with sugaz so it's not sitting warm and stagnant, but the yeast is active and eating.

How can you make a beautiful all grain beer then put dextrose in it? oh the humanity :(

How can you make a beautiful all grain beer then put dextrose in it? oh the humanity :(

Failure to see sugar as a useful brewing adjunct is a noob issue.

This too, will pass.

Failure to see sugar as a useful brewing adjunct is a noob issue.

This too, will pass.
I use adjunct quiet often actually like flaked maize, belgian candi sugar, brown sugar. I didn't say I see adjunct's as "not useful" I said dextrose tastes like shit mate.
Us "noobs" will just have to stick to better beer ay?

Prioritize your light brews and lagers to the fridge space, as the higher gravity stuff can be aged out in a suitably coolish spot.

I use adjunct quiet often actually like flaked maize, belgian candi sugar, brown sugar. I didn't say I see adjunct's as "not useful" I said dextrose tastes like shit mate.
Us "noobs" will just have to stick to better beer ay?

70g of dextrose in a 19L keg id be very surprised if it was detectable. Could prime with malt extract if this is still bothering you.

Don't forget Imperial IPA's often use dextrose to lighten the body. It's a perfectly valid and useful adjunct when used correctly.

Dextrose tastes like shit when it's used in high percentages. In low percentages, either to thin the body (IIPA) or to carbonate (as above), there is very little (but probably no) flavour impact.

This might sound noobish then, but why prime with sugar at all if you can prime with co2, knowing its clean then store till use or top up occasionally?

or is this more a personal thing and/or something ppl do to build certain characteristics in a beer?

Back