How Often Do You Upgrade Your Brewery?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I fired up the fourth version of my brewery yesterday, which made me go looking for the photos of my brewery as it changed over time. Having found them all I thought I would share them here!

My first AG setup I bought from Batz. It was a 20L urn (which is now up North in Fixa's brewery), a 25L or so keep cool esky and a 50L boiler - both of these are now in Bonj's brewery. I brewed in our third floor unit, with no brewstand (well, except the washing machine).

a_1.jpg

a_2.jpg

a_3.jpg

I then outgrew the mashtun and the urn - so upgraded both. I actually had a 65L drum with elements from another project, so I got a tap welded on the bottom of that. I organised a bulk buy on the 37L keep cool eskies, and quite a few of us upgraded at that time. I then moved, so got me a shed! The brewstand was then a cupboard I bought at the salvos for $10.

b_1.jpg

Shortly after this temperature controlled fermentation arrived, along with thermostats and a big burner.

bb_1.jpg

bb_2.jpg

Earlier this year, I was about to build a stand for it all - I had even started yet another brewstand thread! But then ozbrewer was selling off bits and pieces, and I got his 80L boiler and stainless stand. Big changes! At was at this point the old boiler and old old mashtun went to Bonj.

c_1.jpg

Given the new capacity of the boiler, a mash tun upgrade was in order -no point in only having a 37L mash tun when the HLT is 65L and the boiler is 80L!

So that brings us to yesterdays (and the current) version. New mash tun (50L) and Al built a sparge arm.

Also have added snaplock fittings everywhere for hoses, new hoses, sight glasses and mashmaster thermometers.

Quite a change over the last 2 years :D

d_0001.jpg

d_0002.jpg

d_0003.jpg

d_0004.jpg

That urn looks familiar! will take a pic of it for you in my brewery..

And my brewery is less than a year old now, so no upgrades as yet.

Lol now I feel bad, my brewery is about 6 months old and ive upgraded more than I've actually brewed! I guess its really only been 2 or 3 upgrades, but one of them replaced all my gear at once, so thats pretty significant :p I'll try find some pics...

I definitely upgrade more than I brew - and boy don't I cop a lot of flak for that ! :)

Andy

Well its happened again - more brewery upgrade, and today was the day to test it!

1. New HP burner reg c/o the phrak bulk buy. Got this dialled in nicely using the air intake adjustments. Only ended up using three of the four rings, boiled in 25min (was 1 hour before!)

2. New Mach pump c/o special K. I think I'm a real brewer now :D I even made a PVC pipe to cover it from splashes.

3. New silicon hoses...

4. CPC quick disconnects on all the brewery - these are just dead sexy.

5. New Jumbo 500 micron hop sock.

6. New conical fermenter. Say no more!

7. O2 aeration system.

All together it made for a better, faster and sexier brew day. Tested it with Al today doing a belgian golden, and it all performed flawlessly. The pump is a huge speed up factor, as is the new burner. All up it was 4 hours from mash in to walk away with it all clean - super fun!

Some photos of the fun below!

M

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Yah, know what you mean mo...

Craphaus is up to version III.

Gone from 3 to 2 tier. Courtesy of a March pump from Special K also... These buggers rock. I've also cut myself a PVC splashguard. Not in the pics though.

Edit: Sorry Mobrien in my haste I forgot to add your brewery looks impressive! Those polysulph disconnects and silicone hose look the goods.

Warren -

DSC02290.jpg

DSC02285.jpg

Hi Matt,
I started with a gravity fed system where I had to winch or lift the kettle up to fill the fermenter

DSC00492.JPG

I enjoyed this setup but I did not like lifting hot water over my head to fill the MLT. After a year of AGing I decided to build a single tier.

new_rig.jpg

The old stand went to Kiwi Greg, who I hope is making the most of it. I can't see any mods in the future at this rig is working great. I'm not really into automaton, but I reckon it would be cool to have some solenoid operated taps so you could hit one switch to sparge, drain to kettle etc.

cheers

Browndog

Latest posts

Back