How Often Do You Clean Your Fermenter Tap?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dammag

Reaction score
Hi.

Just interested. How often do you dismantle and clean you fermenter tap? I do mine every brew. Is this standard procedure?

Damian.

It should be standard procedure, easily the most common area for infections.

Every time I clean the fermenter.

i have a few taps on standby,i changeover and soak in sodium perc overnight and then in starsan.never had an issue,and i run solution thru them when cleaning the fermenter.i never buy a tap we get 20 litre drums of distilled water and toss the drum when it's done,i get the tap before hand

I never dismantle mine, if they look a bit manky I just put a new one in from my box o taps, and whenever I'm in Bunnings I just grab a handful of new ones @ $1.85 each and chuck them in the box when I get home. Sometimes they have a pack of 3 for a tad less.

Actually heading there tomorrow for something, thanks for the reminder :)

Rowy said:
Every time I clean the fermenter.
+1

Those "Beneficial" snap taps have lasted for many years & still going strong.

TAPSNAPTAP_m.jpg

Bribie G said:
I never dismantle mine, if they look a bit manky I just put a new one in from my box o taps, and whenever I'm in Bunnings I just grab a handful of new ones @ $1.85 each and chuck them in the box when I get home. Sometimes they have a pack of 3 for a tad less.
same as this, I find they just never go back together the same, always tight and I just dont trust em to seal properly..

there are always about 4 floating in my starsan drum, if one looks a bit nasty off the FV, I chuck it and put a new one in.

I clean mine every brew day but as said if it looks a bit shit bin it and put a new one one must get some more down to the last one

I've just got one of those newer coopers fermenters. The tap seems rather well made - it comes apart and goes back together very easily and you can rinse every surface easily too.

I clean it the same as the fermenter itself - every brew.

This is the tap I have. I think it's a great design.

Tap-1.jpg

Bribie G said:

Actually heading there tomorrow for something, thanks for the reminder :)
You're not trying too hard to save the world Bribie ;) but please remember that those multiple fermenter taps you toss out ARE recyclable. :beer:

Save the world brewers :beerbang: --- Every little bit counts.

spryzie said:
I've just got one of those newer coopers fermenters. The tap seems rather well made - it comes apart and goes back together very easily and you can rinse every surface easily too.

I clean it the same as the fermenter itself - every brew.

This is the tap I have. I think it's a great design.

Tap-1.jpg
Those Coopers taps are SERIOUSLY over engineered.

You can never over engineer!

NASA made a pen that works in zero gravity, the USSR used a pencil.

I'd take the pen everytime! :lol:

Every brew I dismatle, soak in sod perc then starsan.

Though before AHB I didn't even know they came apart.

It's either dismantled, cleaned and sanitised, or it's replaced.
I use both the standard taps and those nice green jobs TidalPete uses.

I soak in boiling water first and then dismantle it as I find it comes apart easier. I then soak in boiling water then bang it back together with some starsan juice as lube. This seems to work alright and they are smooth to use but they can dribble a bit. I replace every 3 or 4 brews.

I've got an astronaut pen in a presentation box. It doesn't work. :p

edit: and yes Starsan is a good lube - I lube the thread of the tap hole with Starsan and when I put the tap in, it ensures that nothing will live in that tap recess.

I just fill the fermenter with a concoction of napisan and warmish -hot water. Let it soak for 3 or 4 days and then empty the contenst through the tap. Rinse with boiling water and some no rinse sanitiser that gets soaked in the fermenter for 24 hours and marys your uncle, bobs your aunty. This is the common practice i have been using and i havent had an infection in over 50 batches of brewed awesomeness. If i get motivated i do pull the taps apart periodicly. Im not saying this is the be all and end all this is just what "I" use. True story

Every brew or transfer.
Takes about 1-2 mins to dismantle, clean, sanitise and reassemble.

It's the thread that's the problem as much as the tap sleeve.

Back