How Not To Home Brew - Cooling Your Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
I am not the most experienced Home Brewer, but I do my best. Occasionally I make a few mistakes, and the day that I decided to film my brewing, a mistake did occur.
How Not To Cool Down Your Beer - hopefully the first and last video I publish about making mistakes on my brew day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZW3WRNYLeI

Ah bloody cheap hose connectors hey, I made sure when I put mine together if a hose popped off there was no way water could get in, even if it drips it happens outside the kettle.

Invest in some good brass hose connectors, they won't come away

With that hose being so close to wort though I'd be more worried about the hot side itself actually getting too hot and folding away - I had some cheap hose which got so hot it went all pliable, folded over itself and BOOM hole about 5mm wide and water was all over the verandah (ceiling included)

damoninja said:
With that hose being so close to wort though I'd be more worried about the hot side itself actually getting too hot and folding away
+1 to that. Condensation forming on the hose will drip back in as well, and the hose may well impart some "interesting" flavour into that liquid before it drips back in. This is the reason I invested in a coil that reached out and over the side of my pot before it connected to a hose (that, and I was very keen to avoid exactly what happened in this video)

damoninja said:
Ah bloody cheap hose connectors hey, I made sure when I put mine together if a hose popped off there was no way water could get in, even if it drips it happens outside the kettle.

Invest in some good brass hose connectors, they won't come away

With that hose being so close to wort though I'd be more worried about the hot side itself actually getting too hot and folding away - I had some cheap hose which got so hot it went all pliable, folded over itself and BOOM hole about 5mm wide and water was all over the verandah (ceiling included)
Glad it's not just me!

Yeah I agree, I need to think about keeping the potential points of error outside of the kettle!

I'm even more paranoid than that. The chiller goes in 15mins before falme out with the Whirfloc. Then I cap the keggle with a modified pizza tray (just a small cut out for the chiller stems with a handle on top) just before flame out to sanitize it. Then seal around the lid with sanitized chux or brew bags. Many times have I seen those little vinegar flies hovering around the brew when chilling. The odd spider droping down from the ceiling above it and whatever else can fall or fly into it.

Danscraftbeer said:
I'm even more paranoid than that. The chiller goes in 15mins before falme out with the Whirfloc. Then I cap the keggle with a modified pizza tray (just a small cut out for the chiller stems with a handle on top) just before flame out to sanitize it. Then seal around the lid with sanitized chux or brew bags. Many times have I seen those little vinegar flies hovering around the brew when chilling. The odd spider droping down from the ceiling above it and whatever else can fall or fly into it.
Wow, thats serious! I had never thought about it that deeply.

Danscraftbeer said:
I'm even more paranoid than that. The chiller goes in 15mins before falme out with the Whirfloc.
Likewise. By the time my boil's ended the hot side of my chiller has already got steam coming out of it and the hose has gone all floppy

droid said:
immersing things can get a man into trouble, no doubt
Sanitise it first and look out for the hot side floppy hose??

Back