How much yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOSEY

Reaction score
Hi all
I am very new as in doing my first kit.
I have a coopers.pale ale kit and i am concerned not enough ueast has been added.
Only the lottle packet has been added and i was reading a post on here that for a 23 lt bucket two are needed... can someone please clarify for a noob
Thanks heaps from one beer lover to another

It will be ok, some use more yeast for higher alcohol beers or two can brews, I've done heaps of cans with just the one,and they turned out fine

Josey
You will make beer with what you have, your beer would be better with a better yeast or even more of the same yeast.
The yeast Coopers supply is (if gossip is worth anything) a blend of Windsor and Mauri Ale 514.
Without getting too technical, when you add yeast it spends some time getting used to its new environment, then reproduces like crazy until it runs out of something it needs to reproduce (usually Oxygen) then it starts making Alcohol...
If you start with more yeast it gets up and running faster, this is good (up to a point) it takes yeast over 90 minutes (average about 2 hours) to make a new generation. Some of the bugs that can infect beer can reproduce every 20 minutes or so.
By the time the yeast is ready to get down to fermenting the beer, any bugs have had a chance to get going to and get going a lot faster (one of the reasons brewers are such head cases about cleaning and sterilising).
If you add more yeast at the start, it will get to work sooner what we call "out competing" the bugs. Most of the bugs cant reproduce if there is no Oxygen, then then the yeast makes Alcohol, alcohol kills most bugs yeast is conducting chemical warfare against the bugs.

Lots of other things affect how good your beer will taste, but the right amount of yeast is a big one, but the temperature you brew at, how clean your equipment is, well its a long list, will all play a part.

Not much point in adding more yeast now, the yeast already in there will have used up all the Oxygen, so the new yeast wouldn't be able to reproduce (well not much). Better to look for an extra packet or two of Coopers yeast, or even one of the many high quality packets available at any decent home brew shop, US-05, S-04, Nottingham are probably the most popular and all well worth a try in your next brew.

Welcome aboard - brewing can be a fascinating, even addictive hobby
Mark

You can help the yeast get started if you look into starters and yeast activation. Basically to make a mini brew ( a litre or two) When I started brewing I started by making starters for the yeast especially to prove the yeast is alive and active when you add it to the main brew.
The Coopers yeast is good yeast but its only 7 grams. A starter will activate the yeast and build up its numbers before adding to the main brew.

Online yeast calculators if you want to get real about yeast pitch rates like:
This simple version:
http://mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html (my pc seems to dislike this more and more now, something about adobe) It works on Google chrome and Internet Explorer but not firefox.

or this is my favorite now. Its more detailed and allows for more steps etc.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Latest posts

Back