How Much Wort Do Hops Trap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katzke

Reaction score
The wife likes hoppy IPAs so helped her with a brew for a competition. Totally forgot to allow for the wort trapped by 255 grams of hops. With a normal brew the wort trapped by the hops is accounted for by my program as what is left in the kettle. This time my error made for less wort in the fermentor. No loss for me as I will never drink the stuff. I would like to find a way to account for it in the future.

So has anyone ever worked out just how much wort gets trapped by hops? I could work it out over time but if someone has already figured it out then that would be great.

I hop in bags and squeeze them as they are removed from the boil in much the same way as a teabag - by wrapping the bag around a big spoon andtrying not to burn myself.

This is a problem that plagues my hoppy beers too.

An approach would be to get a known weight of hops, eg, 10g (make them stale ones or POR :ph34r: ). Make a tea from this, let them soak a good while to fully hydrate. Then drain very lightly in a colander and measure the increase in volume and extrapolate out for roughly how much extra volume to brew, perhaps times this by 1.5 or 2.

Back