How Much Sugar To Carb Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
I want to prime a 19L keg with only 12L of IPA in it - going for around 2-2.5 volumes.

Everyone says "use half the sugar what you would for bottling" but isn't this due to the keg having no headspace?

I'll have 7L of headspace.

Should I use the same amount of priming sugar as I would to prime the equivalent volume of bottles? Or perhaps even more?

Made too much beer so this keg needs to sit around at room temp for a week or two, and I'd rather it did so fermenting ... and ready to drink.

:icon_cheers:

Never having carb'd in a keg, I would still shy on the lower sugar level and stay with a bit over 1/2 rate. Then it can still start to carb up naturally, but you are guaranteed it won't be over gassed. From there with such a small vol in the keg it would be easy to finish bumping up the carb level if needed once it's in the fridge and under external CO2 pressure.

QldKev

Never having carb'd in a keg, I would still shy on the lower sugar level and stay with a bit over 1/2 rate. Then it can still start to carb up naturally, but you are guaranteed it won't be over gassed. From there with such a small vol in the keg it would be easy to finish bumping up the carb level if needed once it's in the fridge and under external CO2 pressure.

QldKev

Good point.

With that much headspace I think you would risk the beer spoiling unless you purge the air. If you are going to do that might as well just pressurise with CO2. Alternatively why not just bottle the 12 litres.

This would quite ironic if Truman came on here and started giving you stick for not doing a search Nick. While also telling you to shut up and have a beer :ph34r:

i would go with what kev says :)

With that much headspace I think you would risk the beer spoiling unless you purge the air. If you are going to do that might as well just pressurise with CO2. Alternatively why not just bottle the 12 litres.

Wouldn't the yeast metabolise any O2 in the head space?

I recently over estimated the volume remaining in my fermenter and under filled a 750 ml bottle by approx. 250 ml (a porter). When I drank it 2 months later, whilst under carbed, it certainly was not oxidised.

I just used 60g and purged the headspace with CO2 at 50kpa.

Don't want to bottle it because that's going to take for-*******-eva as I only have 330ml bottles and 12 x .33 is 36 bottles that I have to wash and sanatise and prime and fill and cap and shake and store ... and that's why I have bloody kegs!

And I'm too busy drilling holes in fridges to be arsed searching if anyone else has sugar-carbed half filled kegs, but now I've said that I'm sure someone will search for me so I have a kitten at the ready and some piano wire.

I just used 60g and purged the headspace with CO2 at 50kpa.

Don't want to bottle it because that's going to take for-*******-eva as I only have 330ml bottles and 12 x .33 is 36 bottles that I have to wash and sanatise and prime and fill and cap and shake and store ... and that's why I have bloody kegs!

And I'm too busy drilling holes in fridges to be arsed searching if anyone else has sugar-carbed half filled kegs, but now I've said that I'm sure someone will search for me so I have a kitten at the ready and some piano wire.

Good then come around and drill one in mine because I dont know how to and was going to start a new thread on it... :p

This would quite ironic if Truman came on here and started giving you stick for not doing a search Nick. While also telling you to shut up and have a beer :ph34r:

i would go with what kev says :)

I wouldnt do that Bruce.

But I may have been thinking that when I read the first post. :p

Good then come around and drill one in mine because I dont know how to and was going to start a new thread on it... :p

10mm metal drill bit and shoot through the side. Do a small pilot hole to make sure there's no circuitry or cooling lines there first.

EDIT: Probably start with an 8mm hole or so, depending upon gas line outer diameter. You can always make the hole bigger if need be...)

10mm metal drill bit and shoot through the side. Do a small pilot hole to make sure there's no circuitry or cooling lines there first.

EDIT: Probably start with an 8mm hole or so, depending upon gas line outer diameter. You can always make the hole bigger if need be...)

Thanks Sponge. I do know how to do it was just joking with Nick. I don't want to drill this fridge its a temporary thing. Will drill my next one for the gas line though.

@Nick...Good advice. Lol

You're from Victoria and I've been watching Underbelly. Get a gun and shoot a hole through it. lmao.gif

Thanks Sponge. I do know how to do it was just joking with Nick. I don't want to drill this fridge its a temporary thing. Will drill my next one for the gas line though.

@Nick...Good advice. Lol

Well then... I must learn to read this sarcasm font a little better.

It's not the first time I have fallen victim to such a sly poke :D

Latest posts

Back