How much space to allow between cabinet and freezer ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Brew

Reaction score
So I have taken the plunge and purchased a F&P freezer 2nd hand (215L) plus all the taps and hardware to make a collared Keezer.

I am still deciding whether to incorporate it into a bar build or have it as a stand alone feature behind the new bar (leaning towards stand alone).

One of my concerns with either option is the space required to allow for convection cooling of the coils? This particular freezer runs coils in the top half of the front and sides within the wall of the freezer rather than the traditional coils in with the compressor.

With that in mind, what sort of space do the good folk of AHB suggest is a minimum between the freezer walls and the cabinet cladding?

Undecided as yet to material for the cladding but there are 3 options- timber, corrugated iron or the micro orb iron with holes in it (figure this would be lighter and allow airflow.

50mm clearance on the sides back and top should do it IMO.
You could run a small 12 volt computer fan stashed somewhere in the back of the cupboard for extra ventilation ,this would help with circulation .

spog said:
50mm clearance on the sides back and top should do it IMO.
You could run a small 12 volt computer fan stashed somewhere in the back of the cupboard for extra ventilation ,this would help with circulation .
Definitely do this if you can, if the freezer has the coils on the outside, it will help both efficiency and compressor life span!

i left a good three inches on front and left side. on the right side (compressor side), i left a good foot. The rear is also open. The freezer needs to be able to vent the heat.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/80118-tahoose-keezer-build/?fromsearch=1

Shameless link to my build

If I did it again I would leave a 35-50mm gap between the front of the chesty and the cladding. By using a couple of vertical pieces of timber with the desired width (ie 70 x35mm), that would also give you a good support to screw a drip tray into.

Also I would buy really long shanks like 9-12 inch.for that build. Mine are 6inch but buy the time I went through the timber and the cladding I need to router out a bit on the inside to get the nut and beer line on.

As much as you can practically give it, if it cant effectively remove the heat it will shorten compressor life

Back