How much should I trust my brewing software? (Brewtarget)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
I've been using it for a few brews and it's been great.

Now I want to brew St Austell Proper Job - a UK American PA.

I've seen a number of recipes calling for vast hop schedules, and when i put it in Brew target the IBU is 87, and the FG is 1022 both of which are too high for style according to the software.

I know it's just a tool and not the gospel, but those numbers are very high - should i just trust the recipe's?

Brewtarget:

St Austell Proper Job - Extract - American Pale Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 23.372 L
Boil Size: 15.801 L
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.021
ABV: 5.4%
Bitterness: 84.3 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 7 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Dry Extract (DME) - Light Dry Extract 3.500 kg No No 95% 8 L
Corn Sugar (Dextrose) Sugar 550.000 g No No 100% 0 L
Total grain: 4.050 kg

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Chinook 13.0% 15.000 g Boil 60.000 min Pellet 29.6
Cascade 6.0% 30.000 g Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Willamette 5.0% 20.000 g Boil 60.000 min Pellet 15.2
Chinook 13.0% 25.000 g Boil 15.000 min Pellet 24.5
Chinook 13.0% 30.000 g Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Willamette 5.0% 40.000 g Boil 15.000 min Pellet 15.1
Willamette 5.0% 40.000 g Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
WLP002 - English Ale Yeast Ale Liquid 35.000 mL Primary

Notes

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56478&start=15

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/st-austell-proper-job.html

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27597

I would think most brewing software would run in accordance to style guidelines, so if you go outside of these the software would give some sort of caution that it may not be right.
I suppose everyone would run into this prob every now and then.
Myself, I like to do most brews to style, but very often push those limits on a brew and see how it tastes, regardless of what a silly computer tells me. :p

I say just brew it dude, trust the recipe and see how it goes.

CF :beerbang:

Hi

I am not familar with your brewing software.

Are you trying to brew an American Pale ale or American IPA (looks more like IPA to me) two different styles.

For comparison I put the values into my spreadsheet, stickied on Kits & Extract forum. I get og 1.063 fg 1.019 IBU 60 EBC 10.
So agree on og but not on fg. Does your software calculate the dextrose as 100% fermentable or does it treat it the same as DME.

The IBU given is calculated for a 16litre boil of 1.040 wort so not sure why the difference. Colour 10 vs 14

The yeast you are using has one of the lowest attenuation values 67 which contributes to the high fg even using 1469PC 69 att would lower fg to 1.017

If I change the yeast for 1469PC then it is within style for an American IPA on the spreadsheet except for the pale colour . Need to either replace some light malt with dark or better still steep some crystal malt to increase the colour.

cheers

Ian

Seeker, the guy above knows his stuff.

Try using the spreadsheet as Ian mentioned, while extract brewing I used it every single brew.
I now use the BIAB spreadsheet.

THANKS IAN !!!!

CF

Brewery show it as an IPA, although I thought it was American PA. Never tried it myself.

Ian, I started with your spreadsheet and found it very helpful - I only moved to Brewtarget because I use Linux and the spreadsheet software errors on the macros.

I'll go back to using it again through a Windows VM though - it's more intuitive than the software any way and designed for stuff we get here as well. Good job, and thanks for writing it.

I'm thinking of dipping my toe in the BIAB pond this week - I might start with the brew I've been struggling to convert to extract below;

http://www.staustellbrewery.co.uk/beers/bottled-beers.html

Proper Job 5.5% abv
Proper Job is an authentic IPA brewed with Cornish spring water and a blend of malts including our own Cornish Gold.
First brewed in 2006 as a seasonal beer, Proper Job proved so popular with thirsty customers that it is now a permanent part of the St Austell Brewery portfolio and our second best selling cask ale.
Gold winner in the Taste of the West Awards 2013
Silver Award for Bottled Beers in the Champion Beer of Britain 2013
Gold Award for Real Ale in a Bottle at CAMRA South West Beer Comp 2013
Gold for Golden Ales category at CAMRA South West Beer Comp 2013
Silver in the IPA's category at the International Beer Challenge 2012

Latest posts

Back