How much pumpkin for a pumpkin ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Browne

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just experimented with making a pumpkin ale.

Coopers Aust Pale Ale
1kg Dried Light Malt
200g Dextrose
100g Carapils
100g Light Crystal
20g Cascade
White Labs Californian Ale Yeast

After disolving ingredients in pot, I added the steeped grains and 800g of pureed roasted butternut pumpkin, boiled for 10mins with cascade hops.
Beer tastes great, excellent head and body but not much pumpkin taste.

Has anyone tried one? and if so how much and what type of pumpkin have you used.

Cheers Matt

I made a pumpkin ale with about 2kg of pumpkin in a 23L batch (mashed not boiled, if it makes any difference). It was a good beer but I can't say that it was overtly pumpkiny.

On the American boards you always read of blokes who don't bother with the pumpkin in their pumpkin ales and just let the spices do the heavy lifting. If I were to make another one (not necessarily on the cards) I'd be of that camp.

I don't think you are supposed to taste the pumpkin in a pumpkin ale.

I thought the pumpkin was used to add fermentables and the ale was spiced using the same spices used in a pumpkin pie.

People generally chase pumpkin pie flavours. The base and spices are definitely out front in the pie but there is pumpkin there.

I use 1.7 kgs of butternut pumpkin that is diced then roasted. Find the roasting adds nice caramelisation and seems to add to the pumpkin flavour without over powering the beer.

I'd be trying to get some hints from the blokes at Murrays
their pumpkin ale is farking amazing

Thanks guys
I was trying to get the flavor from the pumpkin without all the spices of a pumpkin pie that I don't really like.
Lukiferj how did you add the pumpkin mash or boil?

Cheers Matt

I will definately check out Murray's.
Thanks for the tip spork!!

Hey i just read your thread ,sounds dam nice ,my very first brew i added 2kg of mango and my xxxx larger had a nice mango flavour ,just a question as its Grammar thats used to make pumpkin pie ,not pumpkin :D just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers Rob you can useually get them at markets.

http://www.geekosystem.com/how-to-make-pumpkin-keg/

Gramma (pumpkin)

A few days ago, I was given a huge gramma by a farmer friend of mine.
Gramma is a type of pumpkin that is sweet and very moist. It is
generally cooked as a dessert and is quite old fashioned. My mother
used to cook gramma pies when I was young but saved the mashed gramma
for me to eat as I preferred it sans pastry.

As above, it's the not pumpkin but the spices like all spice, cinnamon, nutmeg. Gives the illusion of pumpkin pie.

Though I think the issue is, small doses! They are quite overpowering.

Too easy, bigcroc.

At the end of the day, I reckon anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference between pumkin varieties in one of these beers and I'm sure gramma could work just as well. Looking at the fruit itself though indicates to me it might need a little more prep work and the pumpkin in my brew added 2hrs to the day so might not be worth the effort for some people.

Yer to true bum,wow 2hrs ,seems like a bit of extra mucking round ,when i added the mangos to my brew ,i did it at the secondary and it came up dam good for my first brew anyway.
So i now have to read up ,and experiment more .
Cheers Rob

Matt Browne said:
Thanks guys I was trying to get the flavor from the pumpkin without all the spices of a pumpkin pie that I don't really like. Lukiferj how did you add the pumpkin mash or boil? Cheers Matt
I add it to the boil. I use a big hop sock to try and keep the trub to a minimum.

Back