How much power can I draw with Portable Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizensnips

Reaction score
Lucky enough to come across 2 x Portable Elements, the 2400w/230Volt standard ones you see around.

My very limited knowledge on electrical currents leaves me hesitant to run 2 of them at the same time. If possible I would run them off a standard 2 point outlet, each plugged into their own point.

Will I burn my house down?

you should try to run them from 2 diff circuits if possible not from one double power point

that 4800w from the one point is a lot of draw = may be over heating up wires = risk

i often quicken my boil using 2x 2400 but from 2 circuits but boil on 1 x 2400

Most power points are rated at 10Amps, the Circuit is usually 16A. Good idea to go and have a look at your power board and check that this is indeed the case.
W=A*V (Watts = Amps X Volts)
For your 2400W element at 240V the amps would be (rearrange the equation) 2400/240=A=10
Says you should only plug 1 of your heaters into a power point.
Both of them on the same circuit would be 20A and could pop the breaker (or blow the fuse in an old house)
Better to go looking for a different power circuit for the second one, you can do this by turning off your circuits 1 at a time and seeing which power point is on which circuit - be prepared to spend some time reprograming anything that was on the circuit.
Good to be careful and taking care will minimise the risk of burning the house down, good to see how heavily loaded your circuits are to, and naturally everything is fine - then someone turns on a heater...
Mark

That’s great advice Mark, appreciate that. Will check it out this evening and hopefully find myself two circuits close enough to my kettle.
Thanks again for that.
Cheers

Back