How much Munich 11 is too much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100% is not out of the question and will produce a very rich beer. It depends what you are after really and what beer styles you like or what you want to achieve. I dress my APA's up with a generous hand of Munich with great results. In fact I use a lot of it to dress up Aus base malts as they can be a bit bland on their own in SMASH beers.

What are your favourite styles?

I use 33% in my house mid strength APA.

But if you want to use up more go for a munich dunkel

!

I demand this thread be deleted! Blasphemy!

In all seriousness, it would be out of place in a light hefeweizen oor an English bitter, but anywhereffrom 10-100% will work for you in other styles. I use it in place of any recipeythat suggests Munich, with the exception of a light hefe as I said above.

Great malt...

I've done 100% Munich II SMaSH beers. Rich, but not over the top. I like the combination of Munich II and Spalt hops. Tettnanger too.

You could do a small batch brew with a couple of kilos of the Munich II, noble hop to about 30IBU, a German ale yeast and ferment fairly cool. Will be tasty.

Midnight Brew said:
100% is not out of the question and will produce a very rich beer. It depends what you are after really and what beer styles you like or what you want to achieve. I dress my APA's up with a generous hand of Munich with great results. In fact I use a lot of it to dress up Aus base malts as they can be a bit bland on their own in SMASH beers.

What are your favourite styles?
Favourite style....mmmm let me think..... all beer.. lol Anything English or APA pretty easy to please.

Munich 11? I'd be very careful. I've found Munich 2 to be as high as I'd go. :p

Mr. No-Tip said:
Munich 11? I'd be very careful. I've found Munich 2 to be as high as I'd go. :p
It's hard to find, but it's out there. It's the Spinal Tap of Munichs...

Reckon the Munich 11 approach was my 100% Dingemans Aromatic Malt SMaSH beer. Malt-forward would be a big understatement. Like being run over by a malt truck. Was undrinkable when first bottled, but has ended up really tasty, several months on. Heading in a bit of a bier de garde direction with age, I reckon.

So don't fear the malt!

Back