How Much Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopeye

Reaction score
I'm still in the process of building my AG brury and I'm trying to figure out the volume of wort I will get out of two 50l mash tuns. Does anyone know how much grain you can put in a 50l mash tun and how much wort comes out ????

1kg of crushed grain will absorb approximately 1 litre of water therefore if you are using a mash liquor ratio of 3 litres to 1 kg then you could mash about 16-17 kgs of grain.
On that you would get about 33-34 litres of run off. This is before sparging BTW.

C&B
TDA

I have a 51L Coleman esky type tun, 16Kg seems to be the pratical limit

Good thing with such a big size tun, you can brew partigyle, two batches out of one lot of grains, big beer and small beer. That way, the rectangular eskies are very efficient, partigyle being the ultimate batch sparge, I guess!

Jovial Monk

Cool.

I posted the question because I now have six 50l kegs and one 70l copper boil kettle (pics will be posted when it's up and running) and I was wondering if I'd have enough wort to fill both the copper boil kettle and two of the 50l kegs (converted to boil kettles) (small beers will be partial mash....... no sense brewing beer that only makes you pee.....)

Back