How Much Extract From Grain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elollerenshaw

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me typically how much dry malt extract (equivalent) I would get from mashing (steeping) 300g of crystal malt grain?

Are we talking 30% i.e. ~100g ?

Also, is this ratio the same when you do a proper mash when brewing using the all grain method?

Thanks Evan

A recipe that uses 5kg of grain would use about 3kg of LDME to get the same SG.

About 3/5ths, but it depends on the extraction process.

depends on the efficiency you get. just steeping 300g of crystal I wouldnt worry about subbing it with anything, Also as nick says depends how your going to steep it.

Eg: if you get say 60% efficiency in 5kg you get roughly 1.040 OG in 23lts, if you get 85% you get 1.058 OG

Can anyone tell me typically how much dry malt extract (equivalent) I would get from mashing (steeping) 300g of crystal malt grain?

Also, is this ratio the same when you do a proper mash when brewing using the all grain method?

Thanks Evan

Crystal grain does not need to be mashed. Several sources out there to tell you how much sugar you will get out of different grains. Sorry I can not give you a link. It is all in the spreadsheet I use to make up recipes. If you want the exact numbers go to the maltsters website and look it up. That said there is info out there on converting recipes that will tell you how much grain to DME or LME.

Sorry I am not giving data. Just dont have it in front of me.

My BeerSmith tells me that JW Crystal has a yield-potetial of 1.034 and Dry Yeild Fine Grain of 74.4%
What this means is that if you were to add 300g of JW Crystal to 1L water (at 100% efficiency) you'd get an OG of 1.086, however typical mash-efficiencies in the range of 70-80% are more common meaning you'd get about 1.064.

My BeerSmith suggests that for LDME the yield-potetial is 1.038 and Dry Yeild Fine Grain is 81.70%
Which means that 300g LDME in 1L of water gives an OG of 1.112.

Hence, at 100% efficiency you'd need 420g of crystal to get the same OG as 300g of LDME.

Hopefully that gives you some ball-park figures to work with.

However, all this depends on the exact grains and exact LDME used, for example it's generally accepted that 100g of LDME in 1L of water should equate to a gravity of 1.040 which means that 300g should be 1.120.

And other examples of crystal malt specs include:
Carapils (Weyermann) has a yield-potetial of 1.036 and Dry Yeild Fine Grain of 78.00%
Caraaroma (Wyermann) has a yield-potetial of 1.035 and Dry Yeild Fine Grain of 75.00%

(It's almost 6am and I had to use more than my fingers to count with, so please excuse any mistakes or errors)

Back