How much does it matter if you get the hops wrong?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxation

Phlegm TB
Reaction score
If you get the hops wrong, by boiling them too much, not enough, or use a hop that doesn't perfectly suit the style you're aiming for - how bad is it really?

Does it turn your beer into complete trash, or does it just mean the beer doesn't live up to its potential?

Thats a fairly broad question. Could go both ways depending on what hops get stuffed up.

If you use 50g of something with 17%AA at 60 mins when you were supposed to use 25g of 6%AA at 30mins, it will **** it up pretty bad.

If you use 50g cascade at flameout instead of 50g amarillo, it won't be the same but it won't be bad either.

If you get all your hops and hoping wrong then your beer will be horrible and will need to be disposed of

Send it to me and I will make sure it is disposed of in a responsible manner

PM me and I will give you my mailing address

I do it all the time, I'm always certain that I've got a full pack of 'whatever type of hop' in the freezer. In reality I used it in the last brew but forgot ()
I just keep a variety of US/NZ etc. hops on hand, a reasonable grasp on Beersmith and a willingness to experiment coupled with low expectations.

Back