How Much Do You Spend On Alcohol A Month?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would your alcohol expenditure be for the month?

• $0-$50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $50-$100

• $100-$150

• $150-$200

• $200-300

• $300-400

• $400+

• Total voters
homebrew - $20-50
commercial from bottle shop - $0 - 100
commercial from licensed establishment 0 - 150

hmmm I thought my spending was fairly low, maybe not after looking at some response's here. I was just adding it up now and I think I spend on average $250-300 a month. Like anything there may be months in winter for example where it's less and months in say summer where it will be heaps more. I do about one batch of Home brew each month to cover my at home drinking. But when I go out I can easily spend $100 a night in the city, sometimes a lot more. Then things like lunch and dinner with the missus on Sundays can add another $50 on booze. So my estimate of $250-$300 is a good average but probably a bit under. Best not to know some things :)

Dont know what i spend on Homebrew or Craft beers
But the experience is PRICELESS

Anywhere from 800-1000 a month, sometimes a lot more then that. Spent about 2500 in a 6 week period bringing over heaps of lambic from Belgium.

It's good not having a life or any other expensive hobby :)

i spend about $80-100 on grain, hops and yeast then say $20 in water,gas and electricity. Also buy a carton of ottenger every 1-2 months so say $160 a month and I think I drink way to much. But I was buying 2 cartons of vb a week so there was $80 a week so I have cut that cost in half and I drink beer worth $80+ a carton lol so win win.

Brewery costs I prob spend at most $1000 a year on bits if you add it up over the years some years more some not much at all.

I dont go to the pub I buy exotic beers with alloy and copper I collect at work so I dont have alot of great expenses. If I called it $200 a month I guess I would be around the mark but $50 a week for great beer is not to much to ask. I guess that fact is another reason I drink so much if I have to drink bought beer my consumption goes down some what.

I used to spend 80 odd a week on two cartons of XXXX Summer pre-homebrew, now Im making up a bit over 2 cartons for around $30-35 if I'm adding hops and better yeast KnK style.
Theres probably a carton of Asahi or something similar a month in there too...
I'd say I'm scraping under $200 a month.

Alcohol Related Expenditure: Total(ish): $850-$1000 on average
Brew Gear: ~$50 depending on what needs to be replaced or serviced
Brewing Supplies: ~$150
Other Memberships/etc: $0
Social Gatherings/Outings: ~$250
Craft Beer Orders: $400-$600 depending on what's available at Slowbeer / Beer Cartel / Plonk. I'm not spending as much as I used to now, as I've tried nearly every "year round" production brew in the country. There's typically 10-20 new beers each month at Slowbeer, if not more, then a trip to Beer Cartel in Nth Sydney or Plonk in Canberra rounds it off to a full case. Sometimes I get away with only spending around $400 in total for the month at craft stores and Dan Murphy's, but I've spent over $1K on more than one occasion.

id be dead if I spent $1000 a month lol. We got to many overheads and struggle at the best of times so cutting costs is a must I buy beer from the shop to take to bbq's and outings, might go out for dinner once a month or 2 and have 2 beers and prob go out properly once or twice a year and prob spend $80-100 then

In very simple terms it costs me about $1.40 a litre to make my home brew vs say $3.8 a litre to get a slab of draft on special, a more detailed analysis would have to consider 1) for $1.40 i get much better beer than i would get for $3.80. 2) Because the beer is so much better than carlton draft and much cheaper i drink more than I other wise would. 3) I give away far more beer than I would other wise, eg. i took a keg to my brothers 30th the other day.

Overall i reckon i spend about 30% less due to my home brewing and i get better beer, more of it and people seem to be happier to see me (except maybe my doctor)

Its pretty hard to put a figure on it as im slowly rebuilding my brewery to something more bling and comfortable so I recon

$200 on equipment
$50-$100 on ingredients
$50-$100 on craftbeer/pub

$50-$100 per month on average.
K&K twice a fortnight usually, but sometimes just twice a month.

This also takes into account CO2 and LPG used.

The occasional mid a the social and once in a blue moon a bottle o' bourbon.

Tend to spend a bit on motorcycle tyres each year.

So it looks like maybe 2-3 batches a month is enough to keep the beer supply up and the brewing progression on the march.

$150 looks pretty good, thats a few batches, with a bit of extra spending money as well.

Back