How Much Do You Spend On Alcohol A Month?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would your alcohol expenditure be for the month?

• $0-$50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $50-$100

• $100-$150

• $150-$200

• $200-300

• $300-400

• $400+

• Total voters

eviljesus

Reaction score
Hey guys,

It's recently come to my attention through a variety of methods that I probably spend far too much on alcohol per month. I've never really noticed, nor has it been a problem. I have just set myself a few new financial goals I would like to achieve in the near future which means I need to budget! I am usually pretty frivolous with my money and havent really paid any attention where I've been putting it until now.

So my question to you is, how much do you spend on alcohol per month? This includes ANYTHING and EVERYTHING alcohol related. New taps, gas, brewing supplies, new equipment, brew club membership fees etc. Pretty much anything and everything. Also included is any money spent local pubs/breweries or social outings attended where the primary goal/function is to facilitate a good liver bashing.

To make it easy to copy paste, I've included the following:
Alcohol Related Expenditure: Total(ish): $
Brew Gear: %
Brewing Supplies: %
Other Memberships/etc.: %
Social Gatherings/Outings: %
I've included a poll as well, in case members dont want to delve into it too much/cant be bothered and just want to put their say in.

I know this is quite broad and sweeping, but I am really struggling to find a good balance for progressing in this hobby and staying stagnant doing the same things over and over all the while keeping up with whats going up in the brewing world, both socially and palately-speaking, taste wise. If you need to buy something big and expensive, do you wait and allocate some 'alcohol' budget to it and cut back in the following months, or do you just jump in.

I realise some members may not be comfortable posting this sort of info out which is completely understandable, but if anyone would like to jump into fray, it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers guys!
Evil.
EDIT: Buggered up poll options.

Used to spend bugger all, 4 batches of beer and a run on the unmentionable equipment for the missus, but with my new job i'm away all week.

That means a carton and a half of the best beer i can find in wooolies bottlo, then $20-40 in the pub with tee every night.

Alcohol expenditure is now two to three months worth a week. :(

I decided a while back that my brewing should cost less than what i was giving coopers on a weekly basis. So i ended up on a figure of $160 a month, gas,ingredients, pretty much the whole show, however, it doesnt include Tuesday nights (pool night at the pub) or the occasional equipment blow out (recent fridge purchase) so the figure of $160 has a bit of give in it. Some months i dont spend it all, other months i blow the bejeebus out of it.

Its good to have a budget as a rough guide though, it allows you to track it a little bit.

Cheers

Bugger all on brewing. Its going to the pub on the occasional friday night and ordering cases of fine wines that puts serious dents in my wallet :)

this

the wife is on the champagne lifestyle and i am on the beer (DIY) lifestyle :)

happy wife, happy .....
Same here, but swap the champers with holidays in wine regions.

When I started brewing, I started putting $30/week in a bank account to pay for grain/equipment. My initial purchases were paid for seperately eg 50l stainless pot, 3 ring gas burner, kegging setup and grain (probably about $800), but from there it all comes from the $30/week. After 3 years I have over a grand in my "slush fund". I have purchased a new freezer, more taps and kegs and bulk buy grain and hops and paid for a holiday to Melbourne out of it. Also, being in the metal trades helped by being able to build my own stuff.
Cheers
LagerBomb

I allocate $210 every 4 weeks to "saving", from this however it encompasses all alcohol related expenditure. Since joining singlemalt.com.au there can be the occasional $90ish sneak through if I don't opt out of that months whiskey.

Brew Gear: 0-65
Brewing Supplies: 35
Other Memberships/etc.: 0
Social Gatherings/Outings: 0
Other booze: 0-42
Saving: 0

Has taken a toll on my other love, gaming. There's a bunch of games coming out soon (hanging for Borderlands2) and trying to sneak stuff like that past the CFO.

Has taken a toll on my other love, gaming. There's a bunch of games coming out soon (hanging for Borderlands2) and trying to sneak stuff like that past the CFO.

I find gaming can be a money saving venture. I bought Skyrim for $90 and it's kept me at home locked up in the spare room for damn near 200 hours! Whereas I could be blowing $40+ on a 2 hour round of golf. :)

I find gaming can be a money saving venture. I bought Skyrim for $90 and it's kept me at home locked up in the spare room for damn near 200 hours! Whereas I could be blowing $40+ on a 2 hour round of golf. :)

I hear you :) Clocked up nearly 800 hours on Mount and Blade Warband.....

Tell me more. Tell me more.

Go to the site, there's a form to fill out. A strange man will contact you and ask for your email address and credit card details. Whisky will automagically appear at your front door once a month. Don't worry it's legit, the internet told me so.

In all seriousness, they send an email out each month detailing what they have found with tasting notes etc. They give you a price, then at that stage if you respond to the email opting out, you won't get that months whiskey. Pretty slick set up. This months one is a Glenkinchie 12 YO, so I'm eagerly awaiting that one now.

Years ago (when I was living in Denver) I put all of my spending into one of those financial software suites (Microsoft Money, I think).

Anyway, at the end of the month my pie chart showed something like 60% expenditure on alcohol (mostly beer)! I thought it was a fluke, and about the same came up next month :eek:

I uninstalled the software. Mind you, I was not homebrewing at the time just hitting the bars and bottle shops on a daily basis (I lived directly across the street from Great Divide, 2 minute walk to Falling Rock, etc.)

reVox

To the OP, I would have to say that if you are after some balanced benchmarks on what would be considered healthy, sustainable alcohol purchasing and drinking rates, then this forum is not the right place to go for advice :ph34r:

Honestly, I think only you can determine what level of alcohol expenditure your budget can take. I reckon people who feel better or worse for comparing themselves with the habits of others on this forum are just fooling themselves.

Cheers - Snow.

I must be upwards of $200 a month I blame "Whats in the Glass (commercial)" and Dan Murphy's I have a love affair with American IPAs and...........

$20-30 / week on a growler fill.
$0 - 70 / week on various bottled beers. (prolly average about $20 / week)
About $45 / month on Beermasons quarterly packs.
About $50 / month on grains hops and yeast.
And a little bit on electrickery to run fermenting fridge and chesty.

I get to drink delicious all grain beer every night.

Before I "discovered" home brewing and "good beer", I was spending $38 every 5 days on tooheys red.

After "discovering good beer", but not yet HB'ing I was spending:
$60 / carton of Wizard Smith or Coopers every 4-5 days,
$45 / month Beermasons
$20 - 70 / week on bottled craft beers.

HB'ing saves money. :)

I've at least quadrupled my expenditure on beer related stuff since starting brewing - and to think I originally thought it would save me money :(

Is there a $0-$20 button?

My batches cost a buck a litre or less and I occasionally go to Dans for a couple of stubbies for inspiration.

I spend $800 a week on high-grade crack cocaine though. :huh:

Does Listerine count?

Any hoo, since I've discovered if you pre chill your bottles and s-l-o-w-l-y fill them from the tap and cap em quick, I've negated the need for outsourcing when portable beer is required. So even if I started from scratch, it would cost me about $2 per litre tops.

Again, starting with no hops or yeast, I'll fill a keg and a few bottles for under $50. In summer, probably do a keg a month by myself, so I dunno, around $12 a week on piss.

Far cheaper than hiring a life coach or a box set of Tony Robbins CD's.

To the OP, I would have to say that if you are after some balanced benchmarks on what would be considered healthy, sustainable alcohol purchasing and drinking rates, then this forum is not the right place to go for advice :ph34r:

Honestly, I think only you can determine what level of alcohol expenditure your budget can take. I reckon people who feel better or worse for comparing themselves with the habits of others on this forum are just fooling themselves.

Cheers - Snow.

You're right, I'll probably get a very biased answer from people coming from here. This isn't to feel better or worse, it's to determine a decent level of expenditure so I can progress my brewing and still enjoy the hobby without penny pinching to a ridiculous degree.

Does Listerine count?

Any hoo, since I've discovered if you pre chill your bottles and s-l-o-w-l-y fill them from the tap and cap em quick, I've negated the need for outsourcing when portable beer is required. So even if I started from scratch, it would cost me about $2 per litre tops.

Again, starting with no hops or yeast, I'll fill a keg and a few bottles for under $50. In summer, probably do a keg a month by myself, so I dunno, around $12 a week on piss.
Far cheaper than hiring a life coach or a box set of Tony Robbins CD's.
That's an amazing idea on the bottles. I am definitely going to try that. 100% of my portable beer is usually store bought.

@Phoney - I also find gaming to be a 'money-saving' venture. It usually keeps me distracted for long enough to stop me making other non-needed purchases.

Thanks for the input so far guys! Much appreciated.

Back