how much boiling water do i need?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moog

BIAB-ER
Reaction score
I'm putting a Citra IIPA in the fermenter tomorrow, It ended up being 9 ABV instead of 8 ABV cos my efficiency was better than expected.
I've not got O2 yet so I want to put it in the fermenter at 10 degrees, so when I shake like crazy it'll take in more oxygen.
Then I'll put a few litres of boiling water in to ditute, and raise the temperature.

Does anyone know of a calculator to help me know what the rise in temp is for how much hot water..
Or would it be a simple ratio thing? ie: 2 litres at 100 degrees into 20 litres equals 10 degree rise approx.

hang on.....found something here......

http://www.brewheads.com/tempchange.php

it'll be pitched onto a yeast cake.. will the shock harm the yeast? should I scoop the yeast out, and add it after?
the problem with that is... the yeast cake will be at 10 degrees so it'll need warming gently

Im pretty sure there's a calculator on the Brewers Friend website. Under the tools tab. Just put in the volume of wort and the gravity and the desired gravity and it will tell you how much water to add.

Edit: sorry didnt read question properly *head slap* but again check the BF website. There is definatly tools around to do it.

Aa+Bb=Cc
Where A+B=C
If you had 20L of wort at 8oC and you added 2L of water at 95oC
20*8+2*95=22*c (c is equilibrium temperature)
160+190=22*c
(160+190)/22=15.9oC

You can rearrange the equation to solve for quantity to add
One tip, water comes off the boil very quickly it would be very brave to assume that it will be at 100oC by the time you get it mixed into the wort/beer
Mark

Pour your chilled wort on top of the yeast cake. Add a kettle of boiling water, stir and take a reading with a thermometer. Repeat until you either get to the temperature you seek or the fermenter is too full.

Am I missing something? If it's going in the fermenter tomorrow, how do you know what the abv will be? Are you assuming some degree of attenuation?

Re oxygenation, another trick is to repeat "shaking like crazy" one or more times early in the lag phase, thereby adding oxygen depleted by the yeasts. Caution: don't do this too long. You're using a liquid yeast, correct? If dry yeast, the main benefit of all that shaking is t he exercise.

for the ABV I'm just going off what beersmith says
Thanks for the advise sounds like it should work ok then

Am I the only one thinking that lowering the temp to get a higher O2 pick up and then adding near boiling water kind of defeats the purpose. Once the temp is raised the gases suspended in the liquid will decrease in density surely and be released back into the atmosphere. Or is this a new trick to defeat physics?

EDIT - Please put me back in my box if I am wrong as I am always keen to learn a new trick.

Latest posts

Back