How much beer..?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelbrau

Reaction score
Im in the midst of planning the early stages of my wedding, and we have a place with BYO (no offer of any kind of bar service), i was planning on taking the Keezer with us, and a few cartons of commercial beers the throw in ice buckets around the room (Also wine for those who dont want beer).

The fiancé has agreed to let me brew some beers to go on tap, as a few of others attending brew and enjoy good beers. Hopefully i can get some recipes down before then (just completed my first AG, have done a few partials).

My main concern is volume of beer/wine.. most of my parties end up with people bringing their own and we all just share. I have some pretty thirsty family members, and am looking at around 75-85 heads total. I have 4 taps, and was planning on 4 different beers.

Has anyone ever catered for their own or someone elses wedding? Realistically, i think a couple of my cousins would knock a carton worth down easily and more, especially if the beer is flowing prior to the reception.

I'd definitely like to go over, as i'd drink it anyway!

Any help is appreciated!

We had 75-80 people at my wedding, I think half of which were pounding the beers pretty hard
I made 4 x 23 litre batches, bottled it all in grolsch bottles and we only had a dozen full bottles left at the end
I did a Fat Yak clone and a generic Euro lager for the megaswill drinkers
Surprisingly the Fat Yak clone was all gone fairly early in the night
We also had a friend with a still do up a bunch of spirits, mostly lolly water stuff and just mixed it with lemonade

I brewed for my wedding. About 30 beer drinkers. Not all big drinkers though. I had 86L = 12 cartons and there was none left.
I also throw a large party every year, again all brewed myself. Last year about 60 people, 50/50 male/female (I assume youre wedding will be 50/50 m/f) I brewed 120L. Started at 3pm and all beer was gone by 1030pm. So, rough figures 30 males (females drank virtually no beer) drank 4L each in 7.5 hours. Note 9L is a carton thereabouts.
That might give you a starting point. Consumption rate slows obviously, but if you aim for 6L per beer drinker it should last til midnight... YMMV...

Hey jurt,

Recently had our sons engagement party at home. We had about 100 people in total, about 25 hardcore beer drinkers and probably, around 40 to 50 that enjoy "a few" I had 4 x 23 litre kegs( they only really hold 21 litres) and 2 cartons coronas and 1 becks. Party started around 5 and they were all gone by about elevenish.
We also had wine and punch and some spirits.
Surprising how many people drank mainly beer. All kegged beer gonsky, about a carton of bottled beer left. Only drunk around 12 bottles of white wine.
Good luck mate, I know it was very hard to try and guess? Most bottle shops have a return unused policy, we took back a lot of wine.

Cheers

Hey jurt,

Recently had our sons engagement party at home. We had about 100 people in total, about 25 hardcore beer drinkers and probably, around 40 to 50 that enjoy "a few" I had 4 x 23 litre kegs( they only really hold 21 litres) and 2 cartons coronas and 1 becks. Party started around 5 and they were all gone by about elevenish.
We also had wine and punch and some spirits.
Surprising how many people drank mainly beer. All kegged beer gonsky, about a carton of bottled beer left. Only drunk around 12 bottles of white wine.
Good luck mate, I know it was very hard to try and guess? Most bottle shops have a return unused policy, we took back a lot of wine.

Cheers

for 85 people I would work on 21 Slabs (50% beer drinkers, 12 per person) or 10 x 20 ltr kegs

So i see a common theme - running out! Thats probably the only thing i wouldn't want to happen, as i'm happy to take full kegs home with us (we get the property for more than just the 1 day, its a full day setup and a full day for the event, than cleanup the next day as well).

I was thinking of a Munich Dunkel for one of the beers, as both me and the future wife would be having quite a few of those if it were there!

tallie said:
There's a similar thread at http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/60085-brew-variety-for-party/ . My personal experience is right at the end. It can be rewarding, but it can also involve a bit of work and stress - I would guess more so if you're the one getting married. Good luck!
Good advice.

I was thinking already of having a designated person to deal with any issues that arise in the evening. Someone i trust.

Being big drinkers, i think something along the lines of 8-10 would sound about right from that thread and this ones responses. One thing that has got me a tad worried is the mention of the taps being left on. With my Keezer, shit would spray all over the floor, my drip tray really would only catch drips (its low enough for me to fit my 5L measuring jug under the taps and rest it on the tray).

I like the idea mentioned in the other thread of leaving something for later in the night as a bit of a surprise, but knowing me, i'd crack it in an ice bucket with a plastic picnic tap for myself.

Cheers for the responses!

mckenry said:
I brewed for my wedding. About 30 beer drinkers. Not all big drinkers though. I had 86L = 12 cartons and there was none left.
I also throw a large party every year, again all brewed myself. Last year about 60 people, 50/50 male/female (I assume youre wedding will be 50/50 m/f) I brewed 120L. Started at 3pm and all beer was gone by 1030pm. So, rough figures 30 males (females drank virtually no beer) drank 4L each in 7.5 hours. Note 9L is a carton thereabouts.
That might give you a starting point. Consumption rate slows obviously, but if you aim for 6L per beer drinker it should last til midnight... YMMV...
+1 this year. That IPA of yours is sensational.

Back