How Much Beer Do You Actually Get From A Batch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlwayzLoozeCount

Reaction score
I was bottling some beer today and it got me thinking, I leave about 3-4 litres of beer behind in the wort after I have bottled my brew but it says (on the can)I should get 30 750ML bottles from a brew of 23L. Does anone get 30 tall ones after a brew of 23L? I only ever get 26 - 27 tallies. I know some ppl jam somthing under the fermentor on the opposite side of the tap so more wort goes to the tap side (do you do this before during or after fermentation???). I realise if you rack beer your gonna end up with less in the keg or secondary, but I don't rack I just bottle straight from primary.

How many king browns do you guys get from 23L's of beer?

G'day AlwayzLoozeCount

I'm like you I usualy only average 26-28 depeding if I rack or not.

Personaly I am not that worried about trying to squeaze out that extra longies by tipping the fermenter too much (usually just to complete flling a 1/2 full longie).

I am more worried about quality not quantity besides if you wat to be a tight wad it comes out cheep enough per bottle as it is

Here's something to ponder... Go and get an empty tallie, and fill it up to the level you normally bottle to, and pour it into a measuring jug. I did this oce and discovered I was putting about 775 mL into each tallie. 28 x 775 mL = 21.7 L. Not much loss from a 23L batch all in all.

Usually 27-28 plus a stubbie or two, but I do tilt the fermenter to get the last one. I gently tip it by hand (it's light enough by this stage) just as it gets down to that level. I don't notice a greater level of sediment in those bottles than the others.

I only get 30 if I get carried away adding water at the start (I'm easily distracted) :blink:

:beer:

Cheers,

microbe

Im not realy asking this because im a tight arse, im quite happy with the amount of money this hobby saves me, I just wanted to know if anyone gets the 30 tall ones it says its gonna give you.

Normally around 29 longnecks and a stubby. A lot depends on the recipe I'm meant to be following and how much it's meant to make.

I was bottling some beer today and it got me thinking, I leave about 3-4 litres of beer behind in the wort after I have bottled my brew but it says (on the can)I should get 30 750ML bottles from a brew of 23L. Does anone get 30 tall ones after a brew of 23L? I only ever get 26 - 27 tallies. I know some ppl jam somthing under the fermentor on the opposite side of the tap so more wort goes to the tap side (do you do this before during or after fermentation???). I realise if you rack beer your gonna end up with less in the keg or secondary, but I don't rack I just bottle straight from primary.

How many king browns do you guys get from 23L's of beer?

do you use 750 ml or 800 ml longnecks?????

cheers amita

I do 42L batches and get two full kegs (38L). Waste about four litres between trub and just losses from fermentation

'Course, I've never actually checked whether the volume up to where I fill the kegs is actually 19L, really should do that sometime

Haha, this reminded me of years ago when i put on a brew for my grandfather, (now passed on bless him) He insisted that i bottle every last drop, to the point where the last bottle was 1/3rd yeast and trub.. cant waste any! :D

Haha, this reminded me of years ago when i put on a brew for my grandfather, (now passed on bless him) He insisted that i bottle every last drop, to the point where the last bottle was 1/3rd yeast and trub.. cant waste any! :D

LOL :icon_vomit:

do you use 750 ml or 800 ml longnecks?????

cheers amita

Both, I have lots of different bottles. I guess the type of fermenter makes a difference also, I use a short fat coopers one. I would guess you get more beer from a tall skinny one, less yeast cake space.

Both, I have lots of different bottles. I guess the type of fermenter makes a difference also, I use a short fat coopers one. I would guess you get more beer from a tall skinny one, less yeast cake space.

Possible I guess, but I havent noticed any more loss doing single batches in my 60L fermenter, and it's a hell of a lot fatter than the old 30 and 25.

42L batches really seem absolutely spot on for two corny kegs for most brews. Sweetfuckall waste, just a tiny bit of beer left on top of the trub (probably about a stubby's worth if you cbf decanting it

Latest posts

Back