How Many People Have Enjoyed Your Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many people have enjoyed your homebrew

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0-5

• 5-10

• 10-20

• 20-30

• 30+

• Too many to count!

• Total voters

Scotty

Reaction score
I was wondering how many of your friends and family you have converted to our delicious drinks. Personally after a year of brewing i have converted about 20 people. I plan to increase that number :p !!!

Scotty

Define "converted". Are we talking about them saying things like"YUM, that's gooood" or are talking they've gone and bought fermenters and started brewing their own???

If its the latter....Ive scared more than Ive "converted"

I rarely offer my beer to anyone who doesn't have an appreciation for good taste. Let's face it All grain takes 4 - 5 hours or more to brew and to have someone waste a precious glass with the comment " Can you make something like VB, Corona, blah, blah, blah.

I have been known to say my kegs are empty if they don't pass a few exploratory questions on taste etc.

Am I interested in moving someone to the wonders of pure brewed beer? Most certainly.

Am I a beer snob ........... probably.

Will I waste my time on a swill drinker ............... never.

Steve

chiller said:
I rarely offer my beer to anyone who doesn't have an appreciation for good taste. Let's face it All grain takes 4 - 5 hours or more to brew and to have someone waste a precious glass with the comment " Can you make something like VB, Corona, blah, blah, blah.

I have been known to say my kegs are empty if they don't pass a few exploratory questions on taste etc.

Am I interested in moving someone to the wonders of pure brewed beer? Most certainly.

Am I a beer snob ........... probably.

Will I waste my time on a swill drinker ............... never.

Steve
<Dons flamesuit!>

You have to realise how much of a shock the taste can be to people who are only used to drinking pale lagers. If they're suddenly bombared with all these new flavours and aromas theres a fair chance they wont like it.

If someones not used to good beer I perfer to introduce them using a fairly light refreshing beer such as a weizen or helles.

I must admit used to think along similar lines, however I personally think theres still a long way to go before you can convice an everyday punter to try good beer. You cant just stick a barleywine under their nose and expect them to enjoy it.

An old housemate of mine used to be a strict VB drinker. I got him to try some light drinking beers like James Squire Pilsner, Hoegaarden White and Coopers Pale. As his tastes changed he started trying more and more beers. Now his staple session beer is James Squire Porter! It all just takes time...

I had a major victory today. About 2 months ago I helped a young guy from work do his first brew, using his fathers equipment. Nothing major, just a coopers pale ale kit with harvested coopers yeast, and a bit of cascade.

Today he asked me when we could do another one...and the best part was that he told on the weekend he tried a tooheys extra dry, and couldnt drink it, because it was too bland and watery.

If I wasnt at work, I would have hugged the guy. Enlightment is a magical thing.

Hit it on the head kook

I've converted my sister :eek: She's hooked! She's come in on my last three AG beers and has just gone halves in 2 25kg bags of grain and some other bits and pieces. I've even bought her a copy of Palmer's 'How to Brew' for Xmas (hope she's not reading this site :p ) 'cause she said she wanted to really get a handle on things and help more with the recipes. Think I've created a monster :lol:

Shawn.

I have two sons , one 30 one 26
Both would not drink my kit brews of years ago , now the 30 y.o. loves my brews , he only buys good beers now too.

The younger one? Where did I go wrong?

Batz :ph34r:

I have a mate who I've encouraged to progress from K&K to partial mash. The last ale he made was a beauty so I'm hoping I can eventually convince him to go the next step to AG. The 2 blokes I work with haven't started making their own yet but they like drinking mine. One pays for the ingredients & I brew for him & his son in law, which is good because I get to make more beer than I normally would.

not many really. most of the beer drinkers i know go for the macro stuff but even a few of them liked some of my homebrews. i also trade with a guy at work who homebrews as well. always good to get someone elses opinion of a work of art (as long as the opinion is good!).
i guess i dont see it as trying to "convert" anyone to (in our opinion) better beer. its just about sharing something i am passionate about. and its quite possible others are just as passionate about their macro lagers, so who am i to say they are wrong??
joe

joecast said:
i guess i dont see it as trying to "convert" anyone to (in our opinion) better beer. its just about sharing something i am passionate about. and its quite possible others are just as passionate about their macro lagers, so who am i to say they are wrong??
joe
;) I totally agree joe.
You couldn,t have put it any better.

I think Joe has it right....

But when you get a few TTBBIHET's - Thats The Best Beer I Have Ever Tasted coments - or Wow - never thought you could that much flavour in a beer - it makes the passion/obsession truly worthwile.

Ive convinced a couple blokes from work to start homebrewing. Its amazing what happens when you mention you homebrew. Having a chat to a guy last night and he asked me if you can make stuff like Extra Dry? I said yeah if you want and he started to get excited. I told him to go down to the bottelo and try a heap of different beers and see if he finds anything he likes. If he wants to drink Coldies and TEDs, Ill let him go, but Ill try and introduce him to some beers hes never heard of first.

I work in a Call centre with about 250 people. I share my beer with a few of them (anyone who's keen, actually), and have encouraged a few brewers to start/ restart/ explore. Some of their partners brew and I have been able to share their beer and pass my beer on to them, too.
I have a few converts to my doctrine of weizen, and continue to chip away at their macro-beer tunnel vision.
I have introduced dozens of people to quality beer at Friday arvo get-togethers (Goat, Squire, Coopers, Belgians and my HB: weizen, Wit, pale, etc).
If people give me quality empty bottles, I usually return 1/2 of them (or equiv volume) full of HB, as an incentive.

According BYO magazine, I may be a beer evangelist.

Weizguy said:
macro-beer tunnel vision.
thats just about right. really, not many beer drinkers would start out with craft beer. so what do they do? get comfortable with what they know (which is what i did) and not venture out to other brands/styles. all we can do is show them that there is more out there and let them decide. if they dont like it, more for us!

ha, beer evangelists. if this isnt a religion, i dont know what is. (no offense God)
joe

If I remember later this evening, after a few weizens, I'll start a new Beer evangelist thread, and include some of the activities we indulge in e.g. trips to specialty beer restaurants, and other ways to "share the love (of beer, that is)"...

Seth out

:chug: Beer and christianity are interwoven,as is wine.

Think about all the valuable work that the trappist monks in Belgium have done and its impact on our beer culture.

So im sure god(if their is one) is quite happy with us borrowing the evangelical tag.

Gotta say that it took some effort to find my old BYO mags and research/ type my Beer Evangelism post, but I think it will amuse and hopefully inspire.
Maybe I posted it to the wrong forum? Maybe not...
St Arnold would approve, either way, I'm sure.
Please feel free to add a response.

Seth out

Back