How many gravity points to carb a bottle.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Silver
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has purposely bottled cider/beer before fermentation has completed, so as to finish carbing in the bottle. Have just started playing with cider and recall reading somewhere the brewer bottled at 1020 and it carbed up like champers. Assuming it was heading for 1000 i would guess maybe 15 points for a cider. Will be doing my own tests but interested if anyone has done/does this.
Cheers
Silver

Knowing your attenuation is important here if you plan to bottle in glass. Why not just use apple juice to carbonate and take the worry out?

i've done it in PET and it was at about 1.012. i didn't check what it got down to, but the bottles were perfectly carbed about 2 weeks later. your mileage may vary and please be careful of bottle bombs!!!!! that's why i used PET. more forgiving. the cider tasted like ass though as it lost its sweetness but that's also probably due to the quick and nasty recipe.

the yeast i used was us-05.
recipe consisted of store bought apple and pear juice, lemon juice, tea and honey - OG - 1.048
so i don't feel guilty, here it is:

10L batch
7.5L woolworths apple juice
1.7L goulburn valley pear juice
500mL lipton tea (3 x teabags)
200gms honey
50mL fresh lemon juice (whole lemon)
5gms DCL yeast US-05 - american ale

Thanks for the replies.
Knowing your attenuation is important here if you plan to bottle in glass. Why not just use apple juice to carbonate and take the worry out?
Did 3 3ltr batches of different flavours recently for shits and giggles. Split a pack of 514 yeast between them and 10 days later they were 1000. Bottled as per beer and they are taking their time to carb compared to primary ferment. So as an experiment thought i'd try this. If it works, 14 days start to finish and i'm a happy chappy.
i've done it in PET and it was at about 1.012. i didn't check what it got down to, but the bottles were perfectly carbed about 2 weeks later. your mileage may vary and please be careful of bottle bombs!!!!! that's why i used PET. more forgiving. the cider tasted like ass though as it lost its sweetness but that's also probably due to the quick and nasty recipe.

the yeast i used was us-05.
recipe consisted of store bought apple and pear juice, lemon juice, tea and honey - OG - 1.048
so i don't feel guilty, here it is:

10L batch
7.5L woolworths apple juice
1.7L goulburn valley pear juice
500mL lipton tea (3 x teabags)
200gms honey
50mL fresh lemon juice (whole lemon)
5gms DCL yeast US-05 - american ale
Almost identical recipe. 8 ltr apple juice, 850ml pear juice, 2 x bushells, 500gr raw sugar, juice of 1 lemon, 514 yeast and threw 1 cinnamon stick into FV. OG 1062. Think i'll bottle at different stages in PETs. I don't expect it will get to 1000 as it has pear juice which i believe wont ferment out completely.
Each gravity point adds 0.51 vols of CO2
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Accurately_Calculating_Sugar_Additions_for_Carbonation

So, if it is going to finish at 1.000 and you want 3 vols, bottle at 1.006 (also adjust for residual CO2 in solution, which will depend on temperature reached)
Thanks for link, will have to check it out later. Damn work is interfering with my brewing activities.

If it were me I wouldn't risk it. Let it ferment out and bulk prime or use carbonation lollies. If you don't know your attenuation you are asking for trouble.

Silver said:
If it works, 14 days start to finish and i'm a happy chappy.
Just to clarify - 14 days to carbonate or 14 days from pitching yeast to drinking?

JDW81 said:

If it were me I wouldn't risk it. Let it ferment out and bulk prime or use carbonation lollies. If you don't know your attenuation you are asking for trouble.
I used lollies on my 1st attempt, hence this experiment. I'll put the fermenting bottles in a fermenter filled with water and maintain 20deg C. So risk of any explosion should be contained. Trouble follows me, i've just learned to live with it.

bum said:

Just to clarify - 14 days to carbonate or 14 days from pitching yeast to drinking?
14 days pitching to drinking. I'm hoping. Be great if it works.

Back