How many days for ferment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopdog

Reaction score
I'm looking at brewing my first cider. I will be going away for work next Tuesday for a month and wanted to get a cider done before I go. I have 20l aldi juice, uso4 yeast and a yeast nutrient. If I mix up today will it be finished fermenting by Monday so I can keg it and let it age while I'm away?
Cheers

Listen to mxd. I'm not sure if you're using a kit (or which one), but I've done several batches. They seem to take quite a while to totally ferment out (at least all of mine did) and they also seem to have a much lower than expected final gravity than a normal beer. All have finished under 1.005, and I had one below 1.000!

If I were you, I'd do it a day or two before you go away, find a nice cool place to leave it (or if using a fridge, set the controller to say 18C), and then bottle it when you come back after a month. At least no one will be there to stuff around by taking the lid off and exposing it to the air!

Cheers

antiphile said:
Listen to mxd. I'm not sure if you're using a kit (or which one), but I've done several batches. They seem to take quite a while to totally ferment out (at least all of mine did) and they also seem to have a much lower than expected final gravity than a normal beer. All have finished under 1.005, and I had one below 1.000!

If I were you, I'd do it a day or two before you go away, find a nice cool place to leave it (or if using a fridge, set the controller to say 18C), and then bottle it when you come back after a month. At least no one will be there to stuff around by taking the lid off and exposing it to the air!

Cheers
Thanks mate, I'll probably do that then. I'll set my fridge at 18 until I get back then I'll keg.

My first batch using Aldi juice took a bit over 2 weeks finish up.. I left it another 2 as I didn't have time to bottle it.. Came out fine, I still have bottles left aging and it's getting better with time..

I don't do cider but here is something to consider I guess.

You are kegging, so if fermentation isn't complete then you aren't going to end up with bottle bombs, probably just a sweet, low abv batch.

I have brewed a beer and kegged it within a week, certainly not my best effort but I had promised a keg for camping.

Once again, this being cider, I have no experience, just opinions.

I have made cider on several occasions just using store bought juice and on a few occasions had them keged in just over a week, note I deliberately crash chilled at 1010, with my last one I used Mangrove Jacks English ale yeast, when crash chilled at 1010 it dropped like a stone, cider into the keg was crystal clear and from what I could tell little to no further fermentation continued. For me this yeast is a top choice for a keged cider, there was very little flavour stripped by the yeast, and stayed sweet for the 2 weeks while the girls devoured it.
As I have been unable to get this yeast recently, I have my current cider on SN9, I haven't used this before so we'll see how it ends up.

MB

Latest posts

Back