How Many Ahb'ers Are On Facebook?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Multiple Choice

• Yes, I have a Facebook account

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I've never opened a Facebook account

• I use it daily and update my profile all the time

• I use it weekly and update my profile regularly

• I use it monthly and don't update my profile very often

• I use it for business

• I've deleted my account

• It should be called Stalkbook

• What's Facebook?

• Total voters

bowie in space

Reaction score
I get a lot of people asking me if I'm on Facebook. The fact that I get asked makes me think not everyone is on it, but it seems that the majority of the general public are. My response to the question is usually the same and goes like this..."No, but I am on a social networking site called Aussie Home Brewers. You can look me up and keep in touch that way if you like. I'm Bowie in Space". I usually get a few laughs but no-one ever seems to look me up!

Now that I'm a single fella again, I'm getting a lot of women asking me too. Also, my mates bug me to get on it so we can all stay in touch. It's not that I'm anti-facebook but there's something about my personality that rebels against what the mainstream does. I guess that's why I don't drink mega-swill or listen to pop music. I only watched Avatar yesterday for the first time because a girl I liked wanted me too. I hated it.

I'm sure a lot of you brewers would find some truth in what I'm saying, so, how many of you are on Facebook? What do you use it for? How often are you on it? Why did you join? What positive and/or negative experiences have you had with Facebook? Should I conform and create an account?

Bowie

Facebook will come back to haunt you all. I feel particulary sorry for the kids who are revealing all their silly behaviour etc which will stay on servers till the day they die, and will certainly be used to manipulate, grade and punish them by the less benevolent governments that will probably arise in the future.

And yes we will now have some techies saying "mate they have got you well covered already every time you buy anything, pay a bill, make a phone call etc" . However I see no point in digging one's hole even deeper.

auschwitz.jpg

It's not even some potential Orwellian nightmare that keeps me indifferent to this virtual pit of pointlessness.
Did people suddenly become more interesting in 2004? Did cramming as many heads into a photo taken at arms length herald a step in evolution?
Do people really thrive on having a gazzlion virtual friends, and conversely suffer a mental breakdown when someone calls them a c**t?
Perhaps if someone sat down and explained the pros to me, I'd be less hostile.

...blah, blah, kids these days, blah, blah, when I was a boy, blah, blah...

I have a Facebook account, but I limit my friends only to relatives and people I know really well. Hence my number of "friends" number only around 24 or so.

In my case, I have immediate relatives living in 2 other countries, and Facebook, as well as emails, allows much more contact than I ever had before we went on line.

If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't bother.

I'm yet to see the point, reason or relevance to using Facebook.
But it seems to be ubiquitous for most other people ... so much so that recent media/news paper articles don't even bother mentioning "social networking" or "Facebook" when talking about 'profiles' or 'profile photographs' or 'profile analysis' (and how potential employers use FB to help with their selection process) because it's simply assumed that everyone has Facebook and knows exactly what they mean.

... maybe I'll change my mind about FB when I get a phone that has a colour screen and a camera and that stuff. ;)

I've had an account for years and occasionally I'll log in and see if anyone has died. But that's about twice a year. Just never got the appeal of social media, there's nothing social about it. I find it generally appeals to a person's inner narcissist and pampers the shit out of it.

And since I couldn't give a shit about what food someone is eating in some cafe or whose baby is the cutest thing in the world or whose relationship status is now "It's complicated" there's really no appeal.

But I wish I'd seen the train wreck coming. I could have made a fortune!

FB reminds me of the old Geocities - Hi this is Rochelle and Hank and our dog Mitzy - sort of stuff. Actually what ever happened to MySpace?? Maybe all the teenies grew up and got a life

Edit: Hey Warra when I move to Old Bar 3 weeks tomorrow woot woot woot woot ..... can I be your friend?? :wub: :wub:

I regularly upload photos of myself posing in the bathroom mirror.

I get a lot of people asking me if I'm on Facebook. The fact that I get asked makes me think not everyone is on it, but it seems that the majority of the general public are. My response to the question is usually the same and goes like this..."No, but I am on a social networking site called Aussie Home Brewers. You can look me up and keep in touch that way if you like. I'm Bowie in Space". I usually get a few laughs but no-one ever seems to look me up!

Now that I'm a single fella again, I'm getting a lot of women asking me too. Also, my mates bug me to get on it so we can all stay in touch. It's not that I'm anti-facebook but there's something about my personality that rebels against what the mainstream does. I guess that's why I don't drink mega-swill or listen to pop music. I only watched Avatar yesterday for the first time because a girl I liked wanted me too. I hated it.

I'm sure a lot of you brewers would find some truth in what I'm saying, so, how many of you are on Facebook? What do you use it for? How often are you on it? Why did you join? What positive and/or negative experiences have you had with Facebook? Should I conform and create an account?

Bowie

Give the girls your phone number and/or email. Can't be fucked with facebook nor with anyone who finds sending an email or text more difficult than sending a message through Facebook (for which I would get notification via text message if I actually had an account and hooked it up that way).

Hey, I don't listen to pop music much either.........and I brew beer. If you were a chick, we could hook up.

'Cept I'm not single and you're not a chick.

Where's the option for 'would rather cut out my own third eye with an angle grinder and turn it into a very smart, red coloured hat'?

Aah, Manticle. I've always enjoyed your insight and words of wisdom.

The most annoying thing is that I wanted to see an underground/independent band from Sydney play a "secret show" in Brisbane recently and you had to go to the Converse facebook page to register and get your name on the door. I thought that was fucked. I bought their album but don't have a Facebook account so I couldn't go.

I also agree with the other comments that it's not too hard to stay in touch with phone/email.

My partner joined for vaguely similar reasons - She was taking some classes and the instructor decided the next lot would be advertised through facebook only.

Her being on facebook has cemented my notion of never going within twelfty miles of it.

Irritating that a band should do that - knowing another fan who uses it is a cheat's way of finding out about it all I guess but worth doing if possible. Myspace was always the same for me (as in not something I wanted to be part of) although I would sometimes check out bands on myspace when there were no other options. I just never became a member nor promoted my own material there. MS seems to have done its dash to a reasonable extent.

Social networking on this and similar types of forum seems a little different. I guess there's less randomness and you can send and receive beer, meet people and enjoy social gatherings like swaps and comps with other forum members. I'm sure FB could be used similarly but it doesn't seem to add much that's new or worthwhile for me.

Only people I don't have on my fb are my parents.

I prefer talking to them when I do.

I have been on facebook for 6yrs and think it's perfect way to stay in contact with people. I have spend most of my life traveling and have friend all over the world. Facebook makes it easy for me to know what friend and contacts are up to.It also nice to see photos of friend and family when you are so far away from home . I'm also a chef and knowing what is going on in the industry is a big help as well as making it easy to get a job where ever I'm in the world . Since having facebook i don't really use my email. most people that I know that said they don't want it and do end up on it(ie my wife and mother) use it more then I ever have or do . look to some people it may just seem like a time waster(and for people in office I'm sure it is ) but as I said it make my life so much easier

I regularly upload photos of myself posing in the bathroom mirror.

Yeah, I can see that.

Whilst we're mocking virtual interaction for the needy, lets touch on the even more feckless Twitter.

My plan is to open an account and use it strictly to chronicle my daily bowel movements in extensive detail.

I shall then invite people to 'follow' me and 'like' this.

Latest posts

Back