How Long Will It Last

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sintax69

Reaction score
Just a quick one
How long will grain last if its uncracked in airtight container and in a cupboard?

Sintax

Hi sintax69,

Short answer is I don't know. But I keep mine in an airtight container inside my house so temp is constant. Grain I have used is up to a year old and still goes well.

Unlike a local HBS who recently opened in the area and said he didn;t sell grain because of weevils.

Cheers
Roach

If it is in the environment you write plus at a nice temp say around 18 degrees I'd say it would be good for at least a year if not longer.

Beers,
Doc

I still have malt that is over a year old and brew with it without any probs.

C&B
TDA

How long if it was cracked?

I'll try and dig up the sources, but I did a little research on this a little while ago and the common idea was 2-3 months in air tight storage. I have stored cracked grain for two months and it worked fine. I'm getting a grain mill this weekend as it seems most of the experienced brewers on the forum recomend freshly milled grain. I noticed that it smells best when cracked fresh and after two months the fresh smell had faded a little.

I have had cracked grain if the fridge, in air tight bags for a couple of months, but i will say that it just so turned out that the beer i brewed with this older "cracked gain" was not the best ever. So maybe fresher is better. I try to brew within 2 weeks of grain being cracked.
Good question though.

Geez I did not realize it would last so long my 1/2 kilo bits and peices I have always thought where stuffed after a week a well live and learn

sintax

Back