How Long Will Hop Rhizomes Last In The Fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippy

Reaction score
As per the title does anyone have any experience/knowledge on how long a hop rhizome will last wrapped in a plastic bag in the fridge?

Till spring :rolleyes:

Just keep an eye on it to ensure it doesnt get mouldy or go soft, stored/wrapped correctly it should be ok for some months.

I've had some in the fridge since before winter and they still appear to be fine. Planning on potting them in a couple of weeks. There isn't really any need to wait until spring from what I've been told.

No worries thanks guys. So what's the go for wrapping, just a bit of moistened paper towel or newspaper?

most guys selling them wrap them in choir. As said you dont want them wet as they will rot and you dont want them dry you do want them moist though

I keep them in coir in a pot and water them as necessary. You can plant them now and they will grow roots. The ones I have in coir throw roots and stuff.
I'd be concerned about keeping them in the fridge in a plastic bag for any length of time. I've heard of people doing it successfully and I've heard of them rotting as well.

Just wrap them in newspaper and put them in the vegie crisper. They will last for a few months

Just wrap them in newspaper and put them in the vegie crisper. They will last for a few months
^ that's what I did, no problems at all - just don't store them too wet or they'll start to go mouldy.
If putting them in pots there is no reason not to do it now, however if you were putting them in the ground (where it might get wet/flooded) it might be better to wait until spring is a bit closer.

^ that's what I did, no problems at all - just don't store them too wet or they'll start to go mouldy.
If putting them in pots there is no reason not to do it now, however if you were putting them in the ground (where it might get wet/flooded) it might be better to wait until spring is a bit closer.
If potting now/soon, what conditions would be preffered? ie, sun/rain protection until spring.

I don't get up early enough to know if I'm getting frost.. Hmm.

*******... its a pretty mild sort of a winter we are having mate.. if it's going into a pot, and you have the inclination, keep it under cover overnight and put out during the day if it aint pissin down.. personally I have a few in pots from last year and have just added straw over the top to keep the cold off the new bine shoots, cant say that time in the outdoors has harmed them as they look like they are right propper going for it.. See HERE.. all of these are in pots and have see 1 full season when spring hits...

Yob

:icon_offtopic: Howd ya do in Queenstown Acasta? Find any sweet spots?

Yeah good advice. I reckon a sunny porch is good too. Frost usually occurs in open areas more so than under trees and next to buildings.

I kept my rhizomes from smurto in the veggie crisper, 2 of them were all frozed up when i eventually pulled them out - i think they spent about a month in there. No worries though, they survived that episode and made lots of hops

I kept my rhizomes from smurto in the veggie crisper, 2 of them were all frozed up when i eventually pulled them out - i think they spent about a month in there. No worries though, they survived that episode and made lots of hops
I'm glad you said that. I just checked on mine and a couple of them are frozen up. Looks like there still may be hope for them....

Back