How Long Will Hop Pellets Keep

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
Just wonder roughly how long will hop pellets keep? Should you keep them in the fridge? Can they be frozen to extend their life?

Wax said:
Just wonder roughly how long will hop pellets keep? Should you keep them in the fridge? Can they be frozen to extend their life?
[post="101634"][/post]​

Wax, You should always keep your hops frozen. Some hops have good storage properties and others not so good (cascade, pride of ringwood). There is a table listing the relative storage properties of a particular hop. google would be a good start.

cheers
Darren

Darren, do you mean Cascade and POR have good storage properties?

T.D. said:
Darren, do you mean Cascade and POR have good storage properties?
[post="101638"][/post]​

Poor...

I should probably use up the cascade I have in the freezer soon then...

Hmmmm it's worth doing a search on this topic as I distinctly remember a discussion on whether freezing or fridging was the best practice and believe I walked away from the discussion leaning towards the view that you were better off storing hops airtight in the fridge, not the freezer.

Also gleaned from the discussion: Aromatic qualities are the first to fade and bitterness will generally last a bit longer with AAU% levels staying in the same ballpark for about 12 months if stored properly.

FWIW I store my hops pellets in their foil container tightly folded down and held together with an elastic band then placed inside a ziplock bag inside a ziplock bag in a tupperware container at the back of the bottom of my fridge.

just when i thought i had searched up all there was to offer some one posts another link for the favourites.

Cheers Darren :)

I follow the principle that if you can't smell your hops then they can't smell you. I don't have freezer room, so it's in the fridge inside tightly sealed sandwich bags with the air pushed out and a tupperware container.

deebee said:
FWIW I store my hops pellets in their foil container tightly folded down and held together with an elastic band then placed inside a ziplock bag inside a ziplock bag in a tupperware container at the back of the bottom of my fridge.
[post="101649"][/post]​

Sounds like where the plans for the bypass were stored in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. They were in the council planning office cellar "... on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."

Hope you find those hops! :p

[/geekiness]

Except the sign should say "Beware of the lupulin" :)

And don't forget the torch, coz the fridge light will be out.

On a more serious note folks, I have found that the bittering qualities dont fade greatly with time but if you are chasing floral overtones on the finish of your beers, a newly opened packet of hops does it best. It seems to me that even the next brew a month or two later has lost a little of that fresh hop aroma that can lift a brew above the ordinary. The downside of course is the expense of bittering with 3 percent hallertau.

Back