How long will beer store in plastic kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00Tank

Reaction score
I have gas setup but at this stage only 2 corny kegs, and i go through them to quick, so i was wondering if i kept say 5 plastic kegs ahead at a time how long will the beer store in said plastic kegs ? Will they oxidize as i guess as some stage air will permeate them ?

Thanks in advance

I have a 8 litre hills garden sprayer that i use as a party keg. The longest I had a brew in it was 1 month with no noticeable oxidation. Of course I keep 10-15 PSI of Co2 in the keg.

sp0rk said:
you're going through a keg in 2 weeks?
Where does the OP state he consumes a keg every two weeks?

sp0rk said:
you're going through a keg in 2 weeks?
1 week ,lol what can i say i love beer :beerbang:

i Drink fom a pint glass thats 30 beers about 4 -5 ,a night not that big a mission

lukiferj said:
What is a plastic keg? Are you talking about cubes or fermenters or something else?
yes the fermenters, you can but them at bunnings for about 15 bugs ,i want to stick to the one plastic brew keg that i always use for brewing ,pour into plastic keg for storage when 2-3 weeks is up, and then when time comes pour into corny. Took some good pics today of a bar fridge to small with the freezer so was able to manipulate freezer,but on my iphone ill take off when can

site wont wok om my iphone for some reason,neither in chrome or safari

NewtownClown said:
I have a 8 litre hills garden sprayer that i use as a party keg. The longest I had a brew in it was 1 month with no noticeable oxidation. Of course I keep 10-15 PSI of Co2 in the keg.

2ish weeks to brew, keg, gas up and settle and he has 2 kegs, therefore if he's going through a keg every 2 weeks he'd be fine as the next batch would be ready in time

reckon you should just buy some more kegs and natural carb them

kegs are great investment as you can use them for years and get back what you paid for them :)

Buy them now, the supply is getting low as only a finite number were ever made and most of them were scrapped before HB became popular. Ross actually destroyed warehouses full of them in his days in the scrap metal trade. Oh the humanity.

Bribie G said:
Ross actually destroyed warehouses full of them in his days in the scrap metal trade. Oh the humanity.
:icon_vomit:

That 8 litre garden spray plastic pressure container from Bunnings is a brilliant bit of thinking.
Bit small to consider as Corny replacement but idea to take to a party.
Is there any tip about best way to use that I should know?
Understand you need to purge & pressurize with CO2.

move to 50 ltr kegs and fermenter :)

NewtownClown said:

Having a plastic keg full of pressurised co2 won't stop the oxygen getting in. gasses don't work that way, the only way to stop oxygen getting in is to have an impermeable material such as glass or SS.

Back