how long to steep vanilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moog

BIAB-ER
Reaction score
I've still got a cube of oatmeal stout ready to ferment........
I put the vanilla in some Brandy, in the fridge, in an air tight container......
But I've been doing other brews, and still haven't done the stout, its been steeping for a couple of months now.. Should I dump it, or will it be ok to use?? :beerbang:

I did 4 weeks. 2 pods, scraped and split in 100ml of vodka without a lid and sitting at ambient for a month whilst we were honeymooning in Europe. Seemed perfect, but then again it was the first time I've done it.

I reckon it'll be fine.

It will be absolutely fine. The long extraction is a good thing.

thanks, i'll check it before I dump it in the brew

I read somewhere that as long as the alcohol is above 40% then it can sit for years.

I've got some vanilla that's been sitting in vodka for 6 months. Will be using it in a few more months time.

Apparently you can even top up the alcohol after each time you use some of the vanilla-infused stuff. The source I read suggested you could keep topping up for up to a year before the vanilla runs out of strength (obviously to your own taste, before the need to refresh with new split vanilla pods).

Latest posts

Back