How Long To Boil Dme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a Cooper's IPA can from G&G along with 1kg of Briess "Golden Light" Malt Extract.
I had 2 rug rats with me so didn't have time to ask all the questions that I wanted to.

Is it at all beneficial to boil the malt extract for a certain amount of time (say 60 mins) or does it simply need to be dissolved in boiling water as you would with Coopers Brew Enhancers etc.

Also, is it more important to have a constant fermenting temperature than an ideal temperature. My fermenter is in an insulated shed. If the gauge is reading high, I leave the door open overnight to bring the temp down (saflager yeast).

Thanks for your help,

Dan

No need to boil extract unless you are adding hops, just add it to the fermenter as you do with the kit can.

Keep your temps as steady as you can, around 18-20c for your IPA. Depending on where you are you probably dont have to worry too much
about temps getting too high, if you can keep it below 20c, even if you droppped to 12c or so overnight wouldnt do any thing nasty,

but constant temp is your aim as much as possible. Think temp control for down the track, makes a big difference.

If you are using a lager yeast you want to be below 18c and probably closer to 13c as much as possible. 18-20c for the kit yeast.

Great, thanks. I'll definitely be adding flavour/aroma hops to the IPA. I understand that some of the extract should be added to the boil to help extract acids for bittering but is that necessary for late hops? Can I just steep them in plain hot water?

Thanks again!

If your looking for a flavour/aroma hit in it, I would look to dry hopping the hops during the ferment rather that faffing about with a boil.

Remember, the Tin is already hopped to a degree so you should still have hop/bitterness charater anyway.

Cheers

Sorry just thought that your original question hasent been answered.........If you want to boil the gravity of the boil needs to be 1.040, there is an extract recipe spreadsheet on here that is very handy for working out amount of malt needed. I think is by a bloke called IANH

Many thanks,
Yes I grabbed that spreadsheet a couple of days ago. VERY impressive piece of work!

Back