How Long Should It Take For Hop Rhizomes To Take Off?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingbrownbrewing

Reaction score
I planted the rhizomes that I bought off Doc last Tuesday, followed planting instructions to the letter, I was just wondering how long it should be until I saw some action with growth?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!

I planted the rhizomes that I bought off Doc last Tuesday, followed planting instructions to the letter, I was just wondering how long it should be until I saw some action with growth?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!

Where are you in the world and what variety did you buy?

My Victorias are just starting to poke their heads through now despite the heavy frosts we are still getting. In my backyard (Adelaide Hills) chinook was always the last to break the surface.

I potted mine about 2 months ago and have had Hallertau and Cascade poke through. Have already cut them back

Where are you in the world and what variety did you buy?

My Victorias are just starting to poke their heads through now despite the heavy frosts we are still getting. In my backyard (Adelaide Hills) chinook was always the last to break the surface.

I bought 5 chinook off you, I am in brisbane, the plants are all in a perfect sunlight for about 9-10 hrs a day.
I'm probably being impatient, but I just wanted to know that I've done everything right.

Dan for reference this is a chinook* I bought off DrS and planted last winter, the photo was taken 13th Sept 2011.

*(pretty sure its the chinook. I also have a cascade but some bush turkeys dug them up not long after planting and redistributed them about the place)

328097_10150287573035976_2137664649_o.jpg

Dan for reference this is a chinook* I bought off DrS and planted last winter, the photo was taken 13th Sept 2011.

*(pretty sure its the chinook. I also have a cascade but some bush turkeys dug them up not long after planting and redistributed them about the place)

Thaks mate, when you say winter, how long before planting and seeing the growth?
And how often did you water up until then?
I just dont want to under/ over do it....

not long, 2-3 weeks?

last winter the weather was pretty wet if I remember correctly, but I didn't let them go for too many days without water.
They like being wet - just not swimming - so as long as your soil drains well enough, go nuts.

edit: If you're going to go scratching around looking for signs of life be careful because the 1st year bines are pretty fragile under the surface and you may only have a couple on each rhizome.

thanks for the help guys, I will continue to water them as this winter has been as dry as a dead dingoes...
If anyone has any other tips for healthy hops in Brisbane I am all ears.

thanks for the help guys, I will continue to water them as this winter has been as dry as a dead dingoes...
If anyone has any other tips for healthy hops in Brisbane I am all ears.

Everyone keeps saying that Brisbane has less sunlight hours than down south, so I could suggest possibly trying your hand at growing a Fuggle hop. Fuggle is said to tolerate lower light growing conditions such as part shade so it may suit your circumstances. However note that it is also quoted as liking a cooler climate. Shade cloth may help but also keep in mind that Fuggle is a poor first year grower, so stick at it if you want results.
Apart from that the usual first up advice is to use lots of manure and liquid manure.

Mine have been in 10 days or so and no sign of shoots as yet, I'll expect it to take 3 weeks or so.
I'm in the Sunshine Coast Hinterlands.

Ratchies Hallertau rhizomes thread he posted today give me the impression he's growing some good hops, he only lives down the road a piece.

There's plenty of brewers who have grown hops in Queensland, even as high as Bundy.

Batz

I planted mine about 3 weeks ago here in Newcastle, and there are 3 little shoots on the Cascade a the Chinook is a bit slower with one or two shoots just coming up now.

I received a Cascade rhizome from the Brisbane area only a week or so ago and that came up in like about 3 days. :D
How deep you plant them can affect how long it takes for them to emerge.

Nice little shoot showing on my Cluster today.

My Chinook i bought from DrS was put into the fridge at 2 deg C and held until 2 weeks ago. I dug in a bag of cow dung into each pot (1/2 wine barrel) along with some iron and copper and a touch of lime. The first one that shot i figured for a weed, so i pinched it off. It wasn't quite a weed, but the first shoot..... :rolleyes:

The second is now about 30cm high (in 2 weeks) and keeps me awake at night from the growth noises.

Will post a pic tomorrow.

Don't really expect too much from them this far north, but if i get a bucket full of cones in a couple of years for a fresh harvest batch i'll be happy.

Cheers,
Martin

I see here it recommends cutting off the first three shoots, does anyone do this?

http://www.brewerschoice.net.au/html/growing%20hops.htm

Don't really expect too much from them this far north, but if i get a bucket full of cones in a couple of years for a fresh harvest batch i'll be happy.

Cheers,
Martin

Like you I grow hops for a bit of fun and interest, if we score a few hops to chuck in a brew it'll be awesome. :beerbang:

My chooks get alot of the first shoots when i don't keep an eye on them,but there are hundreds of shoots so no real damage is done 3rd year plants. I grow my hops for shade along the north facing side of the house they keep the bedrooms a lot cooler than they used to be.

I got a couple of Chinook's off DrSmurto, planted them (Gold Coast) about 4 weeks ago I guess, one's about a foot and the other around half that.

Back