How Long Is Too Long?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chatty

Reaction score
I have a Grumpys Masterbrew brewing at the moment that I put down on the 26/9. I racked it after 3 days and it fermented a little more (didn't do a sg reading) but i can remember that it tasted bloody awesome. However, due to Uni commitments i haven't had a chance to bottle it and I probably won't for a while yet.

I took an sg reading the other day and it was about 12, but had taken on a sort of a funny taste - don't know how to describe it though. Infection? Autolysis? hmm...

Anyway, any thoughts on whether it will be any good by the time i get around to bottling would be useful - probably won't be for a fortnight though. Since the general rule of thumb seems to be that age improves clarity and flavour, will the batch still be any good?

Chatty

I'm glad someone else is doing this research - please publish your findings. I will be sure to use the data.

(My guess is: colder is better.)

that length of time is fine for me ussually.i have a stout which has been sitting since 13th of sept and tastes unreal just like the other half of the batch which iam drinking from a keg.
one of my very best brews a robust porter sat in the fermentor for a month.
so as long as it is not infected like you think it should be fine.i would say you would not have autolysis.

anyway the reason i would get it carbonated in the bottle now is its ready for drinking.
with my brews like that which stay in the fermentor for a long time i would have drunk a couple pints of it by now and really have some idea about the taste.
i sample all my fermenting worts and conditioning beer everyday.

Cheers jayse. seems that i might find a free couple of hours this weekend and try and bust it out then.

I'm still interested to hear if anyone else has gone for a 'mega secondary' whether it was deliberate or by necessity.

Chatty

I've had brews in secondary for 2-3 weeks with no problems. The important thing is to get them off the yeast cake as soon as the primary ferment is done & after that if your sanitary technique is OK you shouldn't have any worries.

I just bottled a brew that was in secondary for 3 and a 1/2 weeks @ 20 degrees (with 2 plugs of HH). Safale S-04

It tastes fine with not a hint of autolysis. I've previously left secondaries for up to a month but normally at colder temps, not had a prob.

Incidentally - it has come out very clear.

Cheers

Well, I'm a little suprised tonight.

I tasted the first glass of my english bitter. I brewed it on 27/7, racked it to secondary on 6/8. I then proceeded to be a very very lazy *******. I kept putting off kegging + bottling it for ages. Eventually this week when I realised today was going to be 39 degrees, I decided I'd keg it all into 2 kegs.

Last night I racked it into kegs, left it carbonating overnight and just tasted it.

And its fine! No sign of autolysis, no weird tastes, just a pretty standard english bitter.

Anyone else left beers in secondary for 3 months? :)

Shows how long since I brewed too (27/7). Quiet shameful really :(

well john palmer in his book has left for 3 months before bottling

Back