How Long Is To Long (counter Flow Exchanger)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfella

Reaction score
I am going to make a Counter flow exchanger the same as sosman has made. I was wondering how long I should make it. I've got a full roll of 3/8 copper but I'm not sure how much I should use. Has anyone had much experience with making one.

Thanks

Hi BigFella,

Crushers CFWC is about 14 metres from memory and he's happy with it.

Mine's about 13 metres and it does a reasonable job.

Bigfella said:
I am going to make a Counter flow exchanger the same as sosman has made. I was wondering how long I should make it. I've got a full roll of 3/8 copper but I'm not sure how much I should use. Has anyone had much experience with making one.
[post="48243"][/post]​

I cut my 18m roll in half because someone else was making one too. It gets me to around 3C above tap temperature (closer if I turn the tap water flow up) and uses less then my immersion chiller did.

Are you gravity feeding or pumping? The longer you make it, the more resistance to flow the wort will experience.

I'm only gravity feeding so maybe I should go with the nine mtrs

Big Fella,
Sorry about previous. Mine is 14 meters long but half inch diameter. Works a treat but you have to be careful if gravity feeding of any crap blocking it as it doesnt take much to stop flow. I use a termi mesh bag now for all hops & additives & havnt had any problems since.
Crusher

Big Fella,
Its just a very fine stainless mesh used for termite protection on buildings that I just folded up into a big tea bag & can put all hops in. At end of boil, just take out & give good clean ready for next brew. I bought it at a metal recycler from scrap bins It was about $1.00 for it. Muslin or a hop bag could be used also but I find the termi mesh is easier to clean
Crusher

Mine's 5 m of hose around 6m of copper pipe. It's great for gravity feed, but I would assume with pumping it would be a little short.

Back