How long for fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonspoon

Reaction score
Hey guys just trying a basic youtube cider apple juice and sugar and yeast. Seen many of then online. Was wondering how long should it take to start fementation? Been a few hours now and nothing seems to be happening.

No where near enough information given to give anything like an accurate answer.
Just remember that yeast shouldn't go off like a hand grenade, it should spend some time acclimatising to the to the new environment (is it a must in cider, like in wine making?), the yeast should then reproduce, that requires nutrients and Oxygen. Apple juice is very low in nutrients other than sugars, so this can take longer than it would in a beer wort.
100% juice will contain something like 0.1-0.2% total Protein, a fraction of what is in beer wort. Juice is nearly fat free, so little or no lipids and sterols.
Adds up to an environment that really isn't conducive to a quick start (or finish for that matter) to fermentation.
This is probably why most people use some nutrient, or at least something to supply some nitrogen compounds like DAP.

Even ignoring questions like what type of yeast you are using, how big your pitch was, under ideal conditions you wouldn't really be expecting to see much in the way signs of fermentation for 6-12hours often longer.

Because juice lacks much in the way of head building agents you rarely get a foamy krausen, often the first signs are bubbles forming on the inside of the container (one of the reasons I like fermenting in glass).
Mark

Should show signs within 24 hours but please share details and pictures. Stuff like what yeast you used, did you pitch dry, what temperature is it at ect. I haven't done a turbo cider in ages. As they say a watched pot never boils so come back with some details. I am keen to know :)

20180330_133731.jpg

Haven't seen one of those since I binned mine, I forgot how cool they look :)

At closer inspection there are small amount of bubbles in fermenter and the psi gage is actully up off the peg nut still less then 5. But no bubbles in airlock

I wouldn't worry about bubbles I think that the prv will burp around 14 psi
If you have bubbles in the liquid wait to see how things are in the morning

Cool thanks just checked it again when i went to grab a beer and it was up to about 6psi so somthing must be happening. Also they guy in store said the pack of yeast is for 25l. When i said i only had 10l he said half the pack will be fine. True or faulse should i put the rest in?

No worries mate. Are you going to bottle or are you going to carb in the beer machine?

Cool thanks just checked it again when i went to grab a beer and it was up to about 6psi so somthing must be happening. Also they guy in store said the pack of yeast is for 25l. When i said i only had 10l he said half the pack will be fine. True or faulse should i put the rest in?
Half of the packet would be fine

Back