How long for fermentation to finish?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckilner

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 5.1% abv light ale which after the boil had a SG of 1.053 which was spot on with the BeerSmith prediction. I oxygenated the wort with pure O2 when I transferred it from the boiler to the conical fermenter and I'm holding the temperature steady at 21 degC with a Ranco Electronic Temperature Controller and a heating jacket. After 12 days the SG is 1.026 and I'm aiming for 1.013 to get my 5.1% target. There appears to be no activity so has it stopped I wonder or am I just being impatient? I made a starter from Safale S-04 yeast and some Spray Malt so the brew got off to a good start.

Well it sounds like there is enough yeast to get the job done. Temp looks good, oxygenating helps to complete fermentation.

What temp did you mash in and hold at? If it's in the high 60's then that might be the end of fermentation. Sg measures the dissolved solids in your beer - fermentable and non fermentable.

I use a Braumeister
I mash in at 38.0C then the following steps

Protein Heat to 52.0 C over 14 min 52.0 C 5 min
Maltose Heat to 67.0 C over 15 min 67.0 C 60 min
Saccharification Heat to 73.0 C over 6 min 73.0 C 30 min
Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C over 5 min 78.0 C 20 min

So4 is renowned for stalling, even when doing all the right things like keeping good temps and oxygenating. I also have Conicals and think sometimes, with there design the yeast drops too quick and then has little contact with the beer compared to flat fermenters. My advice anywau is to try and mix it up somehow to get the yeast bsck onto solution or add more yeast. Any way good luck

Which yeast would you recommend for a light ale in a conical?
Last time I did 64C for 75 mins maltose but I was trying to get a fuller body this time. What would you suggest?

I'm beginning to go off it fast too. I'm going to chuck another dose of it in and see if that fires it into action

3 brews, 2 stalled.
I had to pitch more yeast.
I have used Mangrove Jack's yeasts with good success.
West Coast, Belgian, English and Burton Union. All do what they say on the packet.

Split your rests more, 53/10 63/30 67/15 72/15 78/15, these are a pretty usual steps for me for a fuller bodied beer, lighter styles I add all the 5's to the 63 step for a drier beer.

Never let S04 in the house

Ckilner said:
I'm beginning to go off it fast too. I'm going to chuck another dose of it in and see if that fires it into action
You want to pitch an active starter to a stalled beer, have you tried a fast ferment test?

Yob said:
Split your rests more, 53/10 63/30 67/15 72/15 78/15, these are a pretty usual steps for me for a fuller bodied beer, lighter styles I add all the 5's to the 63 step for a drier beer.

Never let S04 in the house
sorry, not sure what you mean, "add all the 5's"

Ckilner said:
...after the boil had a SG of 1.053 ... After 12 days the SG is 1.026 and I'm aiming for 1.013 to get my 5.1% target. ...
Are you using a refractometer to measure SG by any chance? (if so, the 1.026 needs to be adjusted for the alcohol present and would give a value of about 1.010)

Fast ferment test.

If that was my brew I'd say the lack of a rest in the lower 60s has resulted in more dextrins, so you have no doubt achieved the fuller bodied beer you were looking for. I now do all my UK ales in the higher side of 65 with a single infusion mash, and if I want something higher alcohol I just use a bigger grain bill.

I love SO4 .... but only in a cider ...makes a remarkably smooth drop and usually karks it while the cider still has some sweetness. :p

MaltyHops said:
Are you using a refractometer to measure SG by any chance? (if so, the 1.026 needs to be adjusted for the alcohol present and would give a value of about 1.010)

I think you've hit the nail on the head! I am using a refractometer and of course it won't give the correct reading without adjustment. No idea why I'd forgotten the basics but looking on the positive side I have got some interesting comments and ideas on mash steps so thanks to all for that. I think I need a memory upgrade! I'm also going to try other yeasts.

Latest posts

Back