How long does the Phosphoric Sanitiser concentrate last

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi There, I dont see a use by date on bottle, (the one that is 2.5 ml per 2 litres or something) and I understand that if it gives a reading of less than 3 it is ok. It says the solution, I assume that is the made up in bottle but does not say the concentrate. I know you can test with litmus paper, I dont have - is there another way to check? I can order some litmus paper - but in the meantime. ...

Hi There, I dont see a use by date on bottle, (the one that is 2.5 ml per 2 litres or something) and I understand that if it gives a reading of less than 3 it is ok. It says the solution, I assume that is the made up in bottle but does not say the concentrate. I know you can test with litmus paper, I dont have - is there another way to check? I can order some litmus paper - but in the meantime. ...
The problem with the bottle these sanitisers come in is the top of the lid can break off and then air can deteriorate the sanitiser. I put glad wrap over the top. With the testing, a pH meter is probably worth buying.

That happened to me too, I put cling wrap - about 4 layers, probably better sealed than original..

Short answer would be maybe.
pH is a logarithmic scale so pH6 is 10 times more acid than 7Ph (neutral/pure water), ph5 a hundred times by the time you get to pH3 its a hundred thousand times more acidic.
Most chemical pH papers and reagents have a fairly narrow range where they work well. Litmus for instance changes colour at around pH7, well its actually pretty crappy being pink under pH4.5 and blue over pH8.3 so it has a large fuzzy range where it cant decide. That's why better pH sticks have a bunch of little pads with different reagents on them that respond at different pH's.
Make sure whatever you use is able to work at the pH you want to measure, it will state the range on the packet.
pH3 is well under the range you would want a pool at so be a bit careful what you pH sticks are able to do, plenty on the market that can do a wide range. Some are specially made to be more accurate over a narrow range, these might be a lot more useful if you are looking to measure mash pH.
Mark

Agree, but I think in this case I just need to know it’s below 3, if it’s close I’ll chuck out solution.., it’s cheap..

Latest posts

Back