How long do you bottle condition?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
supertonio said:
As many have said it depends on style. A hefe is best to drink when it's fairly young whereas a barley wine may taste like dog piss from a nettle after only a couple of weeks. I had a double ipa start to get really good just as I got to my last five bottles, but that's a lesson learnt.
This has been my experience too. I had a hefe that nicely carbonated after warm bottle conditioning (23 degrees) for only 7 days. Conversely my dopple bock still isn't ready, and has been going for a couple of months. Having had a couple of batches that I finished just as they were getting to their prime I generally don't bother even trying anything with an OG higher than 1.07 unless it's had at least 3 months of conditioning...

Old thread but I think it depends what you're making. Like other people have said here. One point I'd like to make though, is if you're a total noob who got a Coopers kit for Xmas or something like that, to me I think with some of those basic kit brews there's no point in waiting longer than 2 or 3 weeks for bottle conditioning. If they don't have any hop or grain additions and are made with basic fermentables, in my experience they don't get better with age. They get to as good as they're gonna after 2 to 3 weeks and you're just wasting cellaring space keeping them for longer than that. For me that suits though, got those beers to drink while I wait for the milk stout and brown ale under the stairs to get better... otherwise I'd be tempted to get into them now :p

With the Coopers International Series (eg Englisg Bitter) and the Thomas Cooper range,I found 6 to 8 weeks was more acceptable to 2 or 3. Sediment settling and harding, complete carbonation and time did improve the product imo.

Still finding my feet with techniques and the basics to get things right, and I'm just coming up to one year all-grain.
So far though my lighter styles seem to be in the range of 2 months, or so. That's Pale Ales and the sort that weigh in at 4%ish. My Bitters seem to take a little longer to smooth out. I'd say I've tested the early opening part quite thoroughly, with disappointing but effective results.
Interesting to read the hops fade thread recently, it's had me thinking more about styles I'll brew and my planning.

I reckon that the beer doesn't stop evolving, and all the factors that were in play along the way from the time when you've put your grain into mash still continue until you open the bottle. Yeast, temps, storage, light, colour jocks, the vibe, etc.

Trying really hard to let my Stouts and heavy brews go for a 3-4 month minimum. Having a local comp coming up has helped as I've put away half of each batch from the last four brewed in the hope that they'll shine a bit better closer to the time. Though for some of them time might be an enemy.

In the end I suppose I'll keep going, intermittently testing, tightening techniques, until I can safely play it by ear for the regular brews I'll do. Yes, retirement's going to be great.

Latest posts

Back