How Long Can You Keep A Half Empty Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
hi all, i brewed a megaswill (xxxx gold clone) before chistmas but as i now drink mostly ales, i save it for visitors.
the last couple were not that taken with my brew so i decided to try it and don't i feel stupid talking up my beer now.
the damn thing was starting to turn, not a real bad flavour but a significant increase in bitterness with a slight sourness.
i never have this prob with ales as they're normally gone in a week or two. i should mention i had several glasses of it just after kegging and it was good.
what's the max time for keeping a half empty keg.?

under co2 and in fridge, I would think 6+ months for 4.5% 12+ for 7% and wheat 2-4 months ?

hi all, i brewed a megaswill (xxxx gold clone) before chistmas but as i now drink mostly ales, i save it for visitors.
the last couple were not that taken with my brew so i decided to try it and don't i feel stupid talking up my beer now.
the damn thing was starting to turn, not a real bad flavour but a significant increase in bitterness with a slight sourness.
i never have this prob with ales as they're normally gone in a week or two. i should mention i had several glasses of it just after kegging and it was good.
what's the max time for keeping a half empty keg.?

Should still be great, if anything a lot clearer.

You said you had a couple of glasses originally, did you just have one glass full recently? If so I think maybe all the shit has floc'd and the first glass your pull with be the sediment. Dump a couple until it looks clear.

...the keg is half full :ph34r:

if it's tasting strange then ditch it.

...the keg is half full :ph34r:

if it's tasting strange then ditch it.

Totally agree... especially if it is a mega swill clone and not something that you want to drink. Visitors can always learn to appreciate a good ale, even if it is basic, that you are also happy to drink.

There is no real max time as too many variables. All unpasteurised homebrew is basically infected & it's only a matter of time before it turns.
So it depends on the bacterial level at the start, how cold you store it etc. Generally the colder, stronger & hoppier the beer, the longer it will last.
The only true test is taste & it appears there you have your answer on the current batch - tip it.

Cheers Ross

There is no real max time as too many variables. All unpasteurised homebrew is basically infected & it's only a matter of time before it turns.
So it depends on the bacterial level at the start, how cold you store it etc. Generally the colder, stronger & hoppier the beer, the longer it will last.
The only true test is taste & it appears there you have your answer on the current batch - tip it.

Cheers Ross
yup, midstrength, and could be (i just realised) forgot to clean my lines for 2 weeks, done today, christmas makes you lazy :rolleyes:

May not be your lines. Could be the way you hancle your beer or even how you clean your kegs. Ever have beer go up your gas line?

The cleaner your beer, kegs, lines etc the longer your beer will last.

Of course, if you don't keep it under refrigeration, then its even worse!

It's been interesting reading this thread, but the beer in my house never get the chance to go off.

I've got an irish red which has been in the keg for about 10 months (chilled and carbed) and no problems. I'm guessing there's only a few pints left in it (although that's what I've been thinking for the past 6 months). It was the 2nd keg of the batch and have brewed numerous other beers since which have been taking priority on the taps.

I reckon if it's filtered it'll last longer. Dead yeast cells don't taste good.

ive kept half kegs for much longer than 5 weeks and they only normally improve. In two cases they were left for 2 years plus a bit (warm, not in the fridge - a Rye IIPA and a robust porter), and they were much better than they originally were! Sounds like you may have picked up an infection or something...

Keeping the keg sitting for a several months is a good way of letting that "too much banana" taste quieten down in wheat beers that foolishly used WLP380 not realising how much banana a yeast could give.

Keeping the keg sitting for a several months is a good way of letting that "too much banana" taste quieten down in wheat beers that foolishly used WLP380 not realising how much banana a yeast could give.

There is no such thing as too much banana.

Are you MAD?

Damn straight, banana is king in all my Dunkelwiezens

All unpasteurised homebrew is basically infected & it's only a matter of time before it turns.

Ross, can you please explain this further?

I understand you are saying that pasteurisation is a apparently a fail safe method of eliminating infection and homebrewers do not do this, so conditions vary from every home and even batch to batch conditions etc...

BUT - What about the Micros, that are basically HB rigs stepped up to scale? Are they all infected time bombs, and as above time bomb dependent?

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be smart, I have had some micro breweries beers that have been obviously infected by something, at what stage they may have picked up on or not...

IN SHORT:

Are you saying that it is impossible to brew a batch of beer that is not infected unless it is pasteurised??

:icon_cheers:

I reckon if it's filtered it'll last longer. Dead yeast cells don't taste good.

"Filtered beer tends to have a relatively short shelf life, rarely more than a year, as many compounds in the sterile beverage break down into unpleasant tasting ones. Live yeast inside the bottle acts against these processes, giving the beverage a much longer shelf life. A good bottle conditioned beer can maintain its drinkability for many years, and some can be aged for decades."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_conditioning

fark me. what about polyclar then filter?

polyclar PPVP said:
Removes/prevents chill haze & retards the formation of stale & astringent flavour characteristics.
Consistently achieve maximum shelf life.

Still looking into Polyclar, but is it considered a preservative or just another fining agent?

Latest posts

Back