How long can a batch sit in a primary fermenter for

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larrywaldo

Reaction score
Hey. I laid a ale down a week and a half ago. Its stable and readimg good to bottle. Taste great. My issue is. I won't have a chance to bottle for probably a week as i need to run off on an unexpected business trip as in on the plane in an hour. Will it hold till next sunday in the primary fermenter.
Its all sealed up etc.
Its a coopers sparkling ale with a body booster number 2.

Thoughts.
Hoping i can leave it. Ill cry if i have to tip this out. Probably one of the better kit and kilo mixes i made.

Thank you all for your time.

No issues at all to leave for another week

If it's not a batch that you've dry hopped, then it'll be absolutely fine. Some brewers get a bit antsy about getting 'grassy' flavours if the dry hop is left in too long, but I personally have not experienced it after two seperate dry hopped beers that had the DH in for about a week (and no cold crashing, warm the whole time). I realise this is just one piece of anecdotal advice, but I haven't really been made aware of any real evidence for it, besides people just saying not to do it.
Actually, another week on the yeast cake will let it condition a bit further, which is a positive.

This is a recurring question. In this case I agree, no worries, mate. A week and a half is really a bare minimum, Even if fermentation to alcohol has ceased, improvement goes on a while.

The ideal length varies with temperature and original gravity. Low-gravity beers are best not left In warm conditions for much more than two weeks. Strong, cold-fermentation lagers are often left in primary for four weeks.

No more than two weeks on the yeast or it can start doing nasty shit.

Most of my beers are on the yeast cake for 10days. Then cold conditioning on the same cake for 4days to a a couple of weeks if no keg is available.
I just had a bo-pils come off the cake it's been lagering and ccing on for 6weeks.
I don't stress about leaving them in primary as there only getting better with time. When they hit the keg there ready to drink.

indica86 said:
No more than two weeks on the yeast or it can start doing nasty shit.
Autolysis takes way longer than that. Oter off-flavours are possible after two weeks, but either the level of undesirable microorganisms or the temperature is too high. At ambient in PNG the latter is possible. Many brewers including myself have let ales go 3 weeks and lagers 5. No problems.

How long you CAN leave it on the yeast cake and how long SHOULD you leave it on are two different questions. You CAN leave it on the yeast cake with arguably little effect for over two weeks. Most brewers have done it and some by rule will give it two weeks in the primary. There are many factors at a home brew level that will have more of an implication on the final beer than a few extra days on the yeast cake, but that's consistent with most variables in brewing.
How long you SHOULD leave it on the yeast cake is, basically, as little as possible. When it's done and ready to transfer or bottle, it's ready.

I always leave my ales in the primary for a minimum of 12 to 14 days. It can be a few days extra if work gets in the way so I dont think you'll have an issue at all.

Back in my kit and kilo days i had to leave a Coopers ??? on the cake for 4-5 weeks. Yeast used was the Coopers sachet. It's the only beer i've made i couldn't drink and had to throw out.
To answer the OP it would come down to ferm temp and type of yeast used. Personally, I would not go longer than 16-18days for an Ale and 28 days for a lager at 10-12c.

Back