How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Black Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coloured is also historically sensitive.

.... but then the word india might be offensive to some, especially if you have to deal with a helpdesk!

and then there is pale which is what is known as reverse racism.

We are left with Ale.... which may be offensive to lagers.

We are now drinking that symbol that prince called himself!

Excuse my ignorance, but how can something pale be black? It's like calling something a lager-ale. :ph34r: (flame-suit is on).

Excuse my ignorance, but how can something pale be black? It's like calling something a lager-ale. :ph34r: (flame-suit is on).
An ale can be lagered...

How can something that isn't from or going to India be called an India ale?

I've with the article author on this one. It is a simple name that describes the style perfectly. It's an IPA, that is black.
Plenty of pale ales aren't exactly pale anyway

OK I'll explain the situation as I believe. Hope you're not taking the piss though...

IPA has become synonymous for high bitterness, high alcohol and high hoppiness. So try to forget the traditional 'style guidelines' meaning Pale colour. IPA even becomes a term in its own and the words the acronym repesents are forgotten.

So when they say a Black IPA - they forget what I.P.A. stands for, thinking more along the lines of Black beer, high biterness, high alcohol etc.

I agree though that it is silly and should be named India Black Ale.

As far as saying its not from India, nor was the original. It was from England FOR India. If you took that stance you couldnt brew a Pisner - as it means from Pilsn. Just as an IslandER is from an Island.

mckenry

Latest posts

Back