How get a beer with nice fruity taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day I had some Rumpole at the Wig and Pen after someone recommended it to me.

It has a very pleasant fruity taste with only a slight bitterness so very easy for me to drink (I don't like bitter beers - I also don't like coffee).

Since Im new to the world of brewing, what gives beer that fruity taste? Is it the esters from the yeast? Or some type of hops?

Any recommendations on kits and yeast that might get me this?

If you're making kits and bits, then I would says hops, first and foremost, fresh ones!
But yeast can also throw out some lovely fruit flavours too, if handled properly, especially stonefruit in an English bitter perhaps.

Look into introducing hops to your kits if I were you. Lots of information around about the different fruit flavours they can introduce, blackberry, gooseberry, melon, citrus, etc...

mardi gras beer?

Just kidding...

"Fruity" is a very broad descriptor... Can you narrow it down? eg; Citrus, melon, dark fruit, stone fruit etc

This is my take on it. Note I say "my take", and how I see the results of these hops. Your experience may vary, so try for yourself.

Cascade hops = Citrus
Nelson Sauvin = very similar to a Sauvignon Blanc wine
Amarillo = fruit salad

The fruity character is from the hops, more so than the yeast.

Late hops. A lot of American hops give out "fruity" tastes. What styles of beers do you like?

Banana, dark cherry, plum, apricot are but just a few fruit "flavours" from yeast. Then there is grain like Special B....
It's not ALL about the hops.

Just been reading reviews of Rumpole. Supposed to be an English Ale but all the descriptors point to an APA.

UK Ales are fruity from Goldings hops, but more from yeast-derived esters.

Hop "fruit" is quite different to esters - it's a sharp fruitiness that's usually leaning towards citrus.

Some hops buck this trend. It's a black art managing esters and hops that have estery notes. Nelson Sauvin and UK Ale yeasts turn a winey hop flavour into an unripe stone fruit - like a hard nectarine.

If you want fruity beers, use yeasts that produce esters (Coopers bottle yeast is a great one) and hops that compliment these. American ales deliberately use clean yeasts to showcase their hops.

The Belgian and german wheat yeasts are not really within the scope of this thread.

Latest posts

Back