How Fast Have You Carbed A Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katzke

Reaction score
Put a wheat beer in the keg and pushed the CO2 up inverted the keg and rocked it for 3 or 4 minutes. Put it in the fridge and was drinking it in a day and a half.

So how fast have you force carbed a keg?

Errr, the cider i kegged on sunday went from fermenter, filter to glass in around 1 hour. Fully force carbonated. :icon_chickcheers:

^ yeah Ive done it in about an hour in the past.
crash chilled fermenter, through the filter into the keg. force carb. pour. consume. Infact Id suggest in under 2 hours it would have gone from fermenter to the smallest room in the house.

OK you cheated and started with cold beer. I had room temp beer.

well in that case about 38 hours is probably my quickest

I've tried the forced carb thing, and poured nothing but head. I must be doing something wrong.

around 45mins here as long as is nice and cold no probs

Franko

^^ Ross method FTW!

About 30-45 minutes once cold!

Still a fairly amateur kegger (less than a year) but I am just in the habit of setting it high (260ish) for a couple days then backing it down to serving pressure and it improves over the next few days.

A question I have for those who regularly use the Ross method. How is the head retention. Assuming the ingredients are the same, have you found that a keg that has been gassed up slowly over 2 weeks at serving pressure holds its head better than a beer that's force carbed in less than an hour or whatever?

Thanks.

Start with a chilled cube. Set it up to filter into a cleaned keg. fill keg, purge and carbonate using the "Ross and Roll" method.
Purge excess gas and connect to your font/ party tap/ chiller etc and serve.
Takes about 50 minutes on my system if I am in desperate need of a good craft brew. :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers

Still a fairly amateur kegger (less than a year) but I am just in the habit of setting it high (260ish) for a couple days then backing it down to serving pressure and it improves over the next few days.

A question I have for those who regularly use the Ross method. How is the head retention. Assuming the ingredients are the same, have you found that a keg that has been gassed up slowly over 2 weeks at serving pressure holds its head better than a beer that's force carbed in less than an hour or whatever?

Thanks.

The nature of the bubbles is a little different in my experience... but over the same two week period the kegs even out. So the only difference is that you can be drinking the quick carbed keg (with minor foam differences) immediately.

That's how it works for me anyway.

The nature of the bubbles is a little different in my experience... but over the same two week period the kegs even out. So the only difference is that you can be drinking the quick carbed keg (with minor foam differences) immediately.

That's how it works for me anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering how much of a difference and it seems small. Cheers! :icon_cheers:

Why waste gas on a warmer beer?Why not gas at cold temps,much more efficient?
:huh: Maybe I'm just too tired, but that doesn't make sense to me. Aren't you just carbonating with the same volume of gas? For a given volume, the pressure is increasing with increasing temperature as per the ideal gas law.

:huh: Maybe I'm just too tired, but that doesn't make sense to me. Aren't you just carbonating with the same volume of gas? For a given volume, the pressure is increasing with increasing temperature as per the ideal gas law.

Do you mean Boyle's law??

Do you mean Boyle's law??
No. The ideal gas law is PV=NRT, with P being pressure, V volume, N amount of gas, R the gas constant, and T temperature. Boyle's law is a special case where T is held constant, giving PV=k for a constant k=NRT. In other words, pressure and volume are inversely proportional at a given temperature. What you were talking about was temperature difference, so T is not a constant in that case. V, however, is a constant, because we are assuming that a desired volume of gas is being used dependent on the style of beer. This gives P=kT for a constant k=NR/V, meaning that pressure and temperature are proportional for a given volume of gas.

I don't think it is really applicable anyway, because the ideal gas law doesn't apply to dissolved gases, but the relationship will still be accurate up to a point. Point is though, that gas isn't being wasted. If you have 20L of beer in a keg and carbonate to 2.5 volumes, you will have used 50L of STP CO2 regardless of the temperature.

Put a wheat beer in the keg and pushed the CO2 up inverted the keg and rocked it for 3 or 4 minutes. Put it in the fridge and was drinking it in a day and a half.

So how fast have you force carbed a keg?

2 key Q's: is the beer is already cold? How desperate are you for a drink? If cold, then you can carbonate and drink in 5 minutes, but it will be a bit gassy on pouring. It settles down in the fridge overnight. If not cold, then you can gas it, 5 minutes, and stick in the fridge overnight.

But the taste and mouthfeel improves with a few days in the fridge.

Peter.

About an hour. Chilled into keg, keg into freezer fro 30mins, 5 mins of rocking, 25 mins of settling.

How do the pubs do it? I'm sure we've all been told, "give it 5 minutes mate they're just getting another keg connected."

Clint

How do the pubs do it? I'm sure we've all been told, "give it 5 minutes mate they're just getting another keg connected."

Clint

The kegs are already carbonated when they get them.

Plus they chill the beer while it's in the beer line, so there's no need to chill the keg.

Too easy.

Back