How fast can I make beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsouth82

Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a buck's party coming up and need to make 5-7 kegs in about 5-6 weeks. Most kegs will be fairly basic recipes (eg. CPA, Unreal Ale, etc).
Question is, how fast can i make them? Normally I will ferment at the lower end of the temperature scale (18-20°C) as this apparently gives off less unpleasant flavours (eg. esters) and what-not. Problem is, the lower the temp, the longer the ferment (I usually ferment for up to 2 weeks).
In everyone's opinion, what temp could I run at that will still produce a well made drop but quickly?
Cheers

Instead of running faster would you be able to grab another fermenter so you can double you output without taking any shortcuts? This would most likely require some change in how you handle your temp control but this is not insurmountable.

Failing that you'll need to give some recipe specifics (especially yeast selection) before you can trust anyone's advice in regard to suggested temps.

How fast are you wanting to produce them? 5-6 weeks is plenty of time given you have enough fermenters and start now.

Most ales I brew with US05, 18-20°C, for 4 weeks and then condition for 2 weeks.

get 3 fermenters and brew 3 batches this week. and another 3 in 2 weeks when others are finished. no need to change your technique.
fermenters are cheap as chips from bunnings and you can never have enough of them

Your avatar pic shows a keg fridge, that looks like it will fit at least two jerrys - buy two of those, kick your kegs out for a couple of weeks, and set the fridge to 18, now you can ferment 3 batches at once, and should easily be able to push out 6 kegs in 6 weeks.

simple, low gravity batches can be fermented in less than two weeks if you're pushing it.

A yeast that ferments a bit higher but is a good all round ale yeast is Wyeast Irish Ale 1084. You can go up to about 24 degrees as it's related to the original Guinness yeast and they do Guinness at those temperatures in Dublin according to the book "Guinness, the 250 year quest for the perfect pint", and I know this is the case as there are (can't find on web ATM) similar accounts re the old Park Royal brewery in London.

The Irish ale isn't just for stouts - think Kilkenny.

Anyway even at around 21 or 22 - which is probably a safe bet - it ferments for two or three days then drops - and I mean really drops.

Recommended.

I know my 360L upright freezer can easily fit 6 jerrycan fermenters, if you have something of similar size, you can go hardcore over 2 days to brew all 6 batches and have them in fermenting
when i was doing kits, my fat yak clone was brewed,fermented (at 20 degrees with US05) and in a keg within 9 days, so you should easily be able to push out 6 batches in 5 weeks, with some time to age in there too

5-6 weeks you will p1ss it in.

14 days from pitching to kegging for me (ales).
10 days fermenting 19 degrees and 3-4 days CC.

You just need the wort, the space (inc fermenters) and the yeast to do the job.
Nottingham yeast will make beer fast, quite plain though, but if Flocs better than US-05.

You will probably have a week up your sleeve to carb your beers at serving temp too.
How organised are you?

Cheers,
D80

Diesel80 said:
How organised are you?
I'm normally pretty organised but my wife is due with our first in 5 days. Throws a bloody big spanner in the works! :unsure:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I definitely think the way forward is to scale up production.

Where abouts are you?

Any brewers in your local area that could help you out?

Cheers,
D80

If your wife's due in 5 days then I would suggest to get everything ready fermenting today or tomorrow so you can then relax and don't have to worry about it until bub is a few weeks old.

It'll ferment by itself while you enjoy your new family and all you have to do is lower the temp after a few weeks for cold conditioning. Then when things slowly settle at home get it kegged and carbonated.

Good luck with it and all the best.

Adam Breuer said:
I can't remember if it's windsor or notto - one of them ferments in 3-4 days. A few days for cleaning up and your'e ready to keg :D
Notto, its an animal.

Cheers,
D80

Given that you have your first born coming, I would suggest looking at a U Brew It so similar. You won't have as much time as you think with a bub in the house, unless you have an ultra patient and understanding wife. She probably won't be home from the hospital for 3 or 4 days afterwards, you'll be commuting to and from home, then trying to learn how to look after bub. 5-6 weeks will get chewed up pretty quickly.

My 0.02c

Hmm, sounds like Tavas is a man speaking from experience.

I organised a bux 2 years ago and was in charge of the beers. I chose UBI to deliver the goods.
3x 50L kegs for about $500 including serving gear. I ended up with two cornies left over which i made vanish....

Tokyo Gold, Canadian Lager and some Munich thing is what we chose.
The munich one was shit. Avoid.

The tokyo one was good for the drinking, skulling games. And in the heat the canadian (moosehead lager or something) was quite sweet and not a bad sipper, yarning / fishing story type beer.
In this aspect i speak from experience. Shop about though, not all UBI are created equal. Sample the beers on tap they offer then choose.

Some turn out some crap product, others do themselves proud. If in perth, dave at ossie park (if still open, was threatening to shut down) is my recommendation.

Cheers,
D80

Having an 8 month old I agree with Florian and Tavas somewhat. Brew now and get it fermenting before bub comes or buy beer.

Time spent making beer is time spent away from baby. Whether you see that as a problem or whether your wife sees that as a problem, it is still a problem.

I found the first 4 or 5 weeks after wee man came home "somewhat" easy as they sleep a a lot and feed a lot, neither of which you can help with. However, you will be picking up a lot of tasks in other areas though. So making beer is seen as a luxury. It's starting to get easier now though.

gsouth said:
I'm normally pretty organised but my wife is due with our first in 5 days. Throws a bloody big spanner in the works! :unsure:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I definitely think the way forward is to scale up production.
Having a kid means you have to spend time at home. The baby will sleep half the time. It's actually a good time to brew.

Bit off topic but what about a wheat beer?

Where are you? There might be some AHB members near you with a fermenter (and a fridge) that you can ferment your brew in if you leave them a bottle or two of the result. If you're in Brisbane I have one sitting idle with no plans of having anything in it for a couple of weeks at least.

Also if you're in Brisbane you can also buy corny's full of the good stuff from Bacchus, though you might need to give Ross some lead time too. This will obviously be a more expensive option but if you're about to have a kid you're going to need to get used to extra expenses anyway so you may as well have decent beer :)

Ed

Back