How Does Flavour Change When Ageing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuahardie

Beer, so much more than a breakfast drink
Reaction score
HI there,

I have a RIS that has just finished fermentation.
OG1080 - FG1018
Despite best intentions to keep the temps AT 18 DEGREES, due to a very vigorous fermentation temps up to 22 degrees were seen.

Now I am left with a beer with a very strong alcoholic bite, and is very warming. Also despite 150gms of hops in the boil the roastiness from the dark grains is very overpowering.

When you age a beer, could you expect any of these flavours to mellow, or should i just resign myself to a mistake?

Cheers
Josh

I made a Strong Golden ale that had lots of hot alcohol early on but that mellowed considerably after about 6 months. Can't comment on the roastiness.

Don't panic.If it's just finished fermenting there's heaps of time for the flavours to mellow out .With a RIS of that strength you could age it for a year or more ,no trouble.When you bottle (assuming you do) ,Bottle 6/12 stubbies and use them as "samplers".Every 1/2 months give one a go and see what you think.Helps if you keep tasting notes too,memory can be deceptive. It'll definitely change as time goes by,it's up to you when you think the flavour is to your liking. Keep us updated too :icon_cheers: And 22c isn't that excessive ,depending on the yeast strain used .By the way ,what was the strain you used?

The beer is going to be all bottled. I was planning to bottle half this weekend, then oak the rest for a period of time before bottling the second half

The yeast was WLP005 British Ale.
I have found this yeast to have a really small operating range. get it under 17 and it stops completely, and well it seems that over 21 causes flavour issues. Mind you, I have never ever seen a beer ferment as fast. the beer dropped 60 gravity points in under 4 days.

I am not going to tip it out or anthing silly like that, but I am just dissapointed that i have never made a beer with such a pronounced hot alcohol flavour.

I Just hope that these harsh flavours smooth out over time.

They will smooth out. I had A ferment go from 1.102 -> 1.036 in 3 days and it was quite hot to start, but after 6 months is tasting delicious. Big beers should be stored for a while anyway. Keep good notes. I didn't have enough for sampling so only opened my first last weekend. It was worth all the hassle on brewday and ferment.

I haven't used that strain,but i'd put $'s down that the flavours will mellow considerably over time.Be patient ! time will tell,and don't be afraid to let it sit for some length of time.Keep it cool and dark after the initial carbonation period and i've no doubt it'll mellow heaps If it comes to the worst you can always 'blend' it with another beer and not waste it :chug:

I'm a stout drinker and have made some that when I bottle them I think the Roast Barley has been over done but in as little as 2-3 months it has mellowed heaps and tastes balanced and smooth. As for the alcohol, I've never done a beer that big but only time will tell. Don't forget to drag up the thread in a few months and tell us how it's coming along.

Drew

HI there,

I have a RIS that has just finished fermentation.
OG1080 - FG1018
Despite best intentions to keep the temps AT 18 DEGREES, due to a very vigorous fermentation temps up to 22 degrees were seen.

Now I am left with a beer with a very strong alcoholic bite, and is very warming. Also despite 150gms of hops in the boil the roastiness from the dark grains is very overpowering.

When you age a beer, could you expect any of these flavours to mellow, or should i just resign myself to a mistake?

Cheers
Josh

As a final update, 6 weeks down the track, the beer is only barely carbonated, maybe about 1/4 of what it should be, so that is a bit lacklustre. However the beer is improving marvellously. The alcoholic harshness is all gone, the warming affect is reduced but still as it should for a 8.7% beer. The roast flavour that was quite acrid and harsh has moved to more of a chocolate note. Despite 50+ IBU's the bitterness is overwhelmed by the malt, but in a good way.

I am very happy with the progress, and all things hoping this will age well.

problem solved.

As a final update, 6 weeks down the track, the beer is only barely carbonated, maybe about 1/4 of what it should be, so that is a bit lacklustre. However the beer is improving marvellously. The alcoholic harshness is all gone, the warming affect is reduced but still as it should for a 8.7% beer. The roast flavour that was quite acrid and harsh has moved to more of a chocolate note. Despite 50+ IBU's the bitterness is overwhelmed by the malt, but in a good way.

I am very happy with the progress, and all things hoping this will age well.

problem solved.

Awesome. Next time you brew, I really recommend doing as topper suggested just so you can see the progress. In the first 6 weeks post bottling, you see your beer flavour change dramatically. If you think about it, all the flavours are new and competing with each other at the beginning, and as they bounce around and settle into the bottle, they tend to balance out and harmonize. I have had a few brews 3 weeks post bottle thinking, blimey - toss the lot and 2 months in they were tasty. :icon_cheers:

*Except for that white rabbit attempt that some bright spark in the thread I was reading at the time said definitely add pacific gem in late. Tasted like crap 3 weeks in and the same 3 months later* :excl:

Latest posts

Back