How do you store your grain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Futur said:
I'm only new to storing bulk quantities of grain, but the handy pails from bunnings seem like a safe bet. I picked up two the other day and they're great.

One 25kg sack fits into two buckets, they're food grade and air tight.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/maxi-pail-20l-plastic-pail-with-lid_p4475875
Futur raises another great point, they are food grade. I often use the empty pails for other purposes too.

EDIT: It will have a little logo - triangle with arrows and a 2 with HDPE.

I mill it and then store it in cryovac bags in various kilo amounts inside one of my big eskies.

Norto.

Velu said:
In 60litre plastic wheelie bins, $13 bucks from big green shed. Perfect for my setup, holds a full 25 kg bag of grain, fits under the brew bench, mice can't get in, keeps it all neat and tidy
Couldn't find this item on the bunnings website... can you post a link?

Also, have you ever had any problem with weevils or ants finding their way in? A wheelie bin lid will keep out mice but not insects....?

I was thinking something with a resonable seal would be required, I like the look of those blue plastic drums that mofox posted.

Cheers, Matt

Old olive oil plastic drums and 60L fermenters for whole sacks. DJ Lethal's plastic buckets for my specialties (holds 9-10kg, depending on grain plumpness).

Norto said:
I mill it and then store it in cryovac bags in various kilo amounts inside one of my big eskies.

Norto.
Shouldn't be storing milled grain for a long period of time. Whilst I've never done it myself, it's a bit of a no-no. Milled grain should be used in a couple of weeks, preferably ASAP.

Matplat said:

Also, have you ever had any problem with weevils or ants finding their way in? A wheelie bin lid will keep out mice but not insects....?

I was thinking something with a resonable seal would be required, I like the look of those blue plastic drums that mofox posted.

Cheers, Matt
The 60L wheelie bins are a 'promotional item' which means that they come in randomly and aren't kept in stock.

I use them for all my grain, and havent had any issues with insects. Because they are raised off the ground on castors all youw ould have to do is to spray the castor with insect repellant and it would be good to go.

It can be anything that:
  1. Keeps the grain dry. This generally means it has to be somewhat airtight to avoid humid air getting in
  2. Keeps the grain dark
  3. Keeps out vermin. Rats can chew through almost anything, so it's really a matter of stopping the critters from discovering it in the first place. See (1).

Spiesy said:
Shouldn't be storing milled grain for a long period of time. Whilst I've never done it myself, it's a bit of a no-no. Milled grain should be used in a couple of weeks, preferably ASAP.
I have heard this too.

Spiesy said:
Fair enough, even in cryovac packs?
What happens to it?

Norto.

Matplat said:

Cheers, Matt
Hi Matt,
As Takai said, they are a promotional item. I got 2 about 8 months ago, and just last week some came in again, so I grabbed another two. Maybe try red-dot/$2 type stores, I'm sure I've seen them for putting kids toys in.
I've not had any issues with insects or bugs (yet).
Cheers

Old chest freezer, no longer works. Grain stored in the bags with a cable tie to seal. No bugs, no mice. Been working for several years now.

IN the sack in a lockable steel cabinet with the rest of my valuables.

Eagleburger said:
IN the sack in a lockable steel cabinet with the rest of my valuables.
You are still talking about grain, right? Not something kinky?

I have some spec grains in some Aldi flip top containers. 15 or so kg for flour and the like. They are clear though. Is that a bad thing?

Matplat said:

Cheers, Matt
I put the 25 kg bags of grain into a rubbish bin liner first ( carefully ) then slide the bag into the 60 L bin,the grain bags have an inner liner for protection against moisture but I use the bin liner as added protection .
After taking what I need from the bag I fold it over while pushing to force any air out,then I fold the bin liner over the top for extra protection.
In the 7 yrs I've been doing this I have never had any probs with pests.

nosco said:
I have some spec grains in some Aldi flip top containers. 15 or so kg for flour and the like. They are clear though. Is that a bad thing?
They say storage in a dark, cool, and dry location is optimal. Can't cite anything though.

Did i say 15kg? More like 5kg. They're pretty airtight so i might just have to line em with a a black bin bag.

Latest posts

Back