How do you store your grain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SergeMarx

Reaction score
So - having just bought a crap load of grain for future use I'm wondering if anyone has a novel approach to storing it? I'm talking dispensing bins, or buckets? Leave it in the bag? A modifed tall boy? What's your solution to grain storage?

FWIW at the moment I have the pale malt in green rubbish bin and the others in smaller bags in boxes. Just seems inelegant.

Metal garbage bin are good, Stops the rodents eating it

As long as it is stored in a cool, dark, dry place it will be fine for at east 12mnths

I use 60 litre mini wheelie bins a 25 kg bag of grain fits perfectly.
$ 13:00 each from the cheap shop.

Original package is usually the best standard. If its original 25kg bag or your brew shop bag. I twist tie the neck of the bag. That's it. Put that in a bucket if you want but any container you put it in should be of the same food standard quality of the original package. The less handling the better basically.

I put my base malt grains in those 60L lidded black plastic bins from the big green shed. A 25kg sack basically fills them.

Other smaller amounts like spec grains etc. I have in vacuum sealed bags in a plastic box. I know it's not necessary to vac seal them given they aren't milled, but I find it easier than having 40,000 rubber bands... plus the bags are vac seal bags anyway.

In the original bag, in a milk crate, on the garage floor. Never had had a problem and been doing it for a few years. Rodents won't have eaten much by the time you notice them ;)

Specialty malts are in old 2L or 3L protein shake plastic containers that the muscle men at work save for me. Bags are in sealed 250l food storage drums that I got for $15 each from a food importer.

In 60litre plastic wheelie bins, $13 bucks from big green shed. Perfect for my setup, holds a full 25 kg bag of grain, fits under the brew bench, mice can't get in, keeps it all neat and tidy

In a f'load of these things:
1447759567716.jpg

Mostly 18L and a few 20 or 25s from bunnies.

And some of these 50L or so's:
1447759589735.jpg

Err, and a few more of those stashed under the bench too.

50L ikea plastic crates with lids.

But they're crap - lids break really easily. I have heard of the mythical $13 60L wheelie bins, but never actually seen one.

Brewing has to be the most space intensive hobby I have ever had. Dominates my 25sqm shed. Just enough room for a bait freezer and fishing rods left over! I store in metal cupboard in bag, or on shelf in 60l tubs in bag. 1 60l tub has all me spec malt in it and the bait freezer sorts out the hops!

Need more space....

30 litre fermentors for the base malts and food grade buckets from the big green shed for speciality malts.

Both are air tight and rodent proof.

spog said:
I use 60 litre mini wheelie bins a 25 kg bag of grain fits perfectly.
$ 13:00 each from the cheap shop.
I should have said, the bag full fits perfectly.
I don't tip the contents into the bin as they aren't food grade .

Moad said:
I use handy pails from bunnings. 1 bag = 2 buckets. I also put rodent bait around just in case
+1

Store full bags in these x 2:
http://www.bunnings.com.au/maxi-pail-20l-plastic-pail-with-lid_p4475875

Store spec grain split bags in these:
http://www.bunnings.com.au/maxi-pail-11l-handy-pail-with-lid_p4470109

The advantage I see is that I don't have massive storage capacity unused, for instance 5-10kg in a huge big container. Any unused buckets can be stacked easily.

Store the buckets on this shelving:
http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/brands/r/rack-it

N.B. I purchased the buckets markedly cheaper than they sell them at now. I think I got the 20s for about $5.

P.S. DJ Lethal gets second hand buckets that would be great for storage. Need to ensure they are in a dark place though, as his are translucent.

Cheers,
Idzy

Back