How Do You Clean Hand Help Taps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I want to clean my gun/hand held tap, but dont know if i can take it apart completely, ie, i dont want to unscrew everything and it springs out and bits go everywhere. Has anyone ever taken theirs apart, and if so, is it easy to get back together again???. Also, what can i use to clean it?? i am assuming detergent is a bad idea. Thanks for any info

ifs its stainless steel i would use any bleach solution sparingly or not at all. im guessing that the screw at the end holds the piston in & should come out for cleaning / replacement. id use either beer line cleaner or hot water to clean it. im sure gmk could step in here with more experience on dis-assembling it :)

I just pull mine apart two or three times a year. It's not all that hard.

Throw all the bits in some Nappysan and hot water. Rinse well put the thing back together and you're away. :beer:

Times when I don't pull it apart I just run some Nappysan through my beer lines, followed with a hot water (close to boiling) water flush.

Warren -

It is frightening the stuff you find built up in there. It also stinks. I recommend anyone who is not pulling their taps apart a couple of times a year to have a go at it. Its funny how clean your beer can seem poured through clean tap/lines

It's not beyond the realms of possibility to find all things green and furry in there in extreme cases. Makes one shudder to realise what one' s been drinking. :blink: :blink:

BTW Darren those taps I bought from you (be 18th months now) are going great guns. However you've just reminded me that I'm long overdue to dismantle and clean them. :D

Warren -

Good to hear Warren,
I am pleased with mine too (same taps) They are a lot easier to clean than my pluto gun. I like how everything snaps together

G'day Darren,

The only minor drawback I have with them is beer going warm in the font over summer. Keeping the glasses in the freezer alleviates that somewhat though. 250ml of warm beer is a small price to pay for convenience. :)

Warren -

Brumby taps look pretty nice, and look to be a fairly simple construction, anyone know how much they are brand spankin new???

Grain and Grape have the Brumby equivalents from the US.

Was talking to John about them the other day. He said they're $85 each from memory. Not bad when you consider what Andale would most likely sling you for them. ;)

Warren -

Yep, I have that problem too. Fortunately, my freezer is in a cool area so it only the first bit that is warm. Incidently, I find that German style hop flavours can be quite funky if allowed to warm. Doesn't seem to happen with American or English hops.
Have you or anyone noticed this?

Can't say I've really noticed.

I get some pretty ordinary aromas from some beer though (Particularly Lager yeasts). Usually only the first 250ml then the flavours seem to smooth out somewhat.

Warren -

Everytime I clean out a keg I pressure flush my pluto gun. I take it apart from time to time but have never had anything unseemly growing in there.

Usually with Plutos the suspect area is where the beer line is forced onto the barb. The nut/sleeve that goes over this tends to harbour nasties. Particularly if there is a small amount of leakage between the tubing and barb.

Great place for the green fur to congregate. :(

Warren -

Old post here - does anyone know how to get a pluto apart - I can't get into the internals. One of my 2 plutos just sprays everywhere when I use it.

Cheers

BUMP. Anyone got a tip for disassembling a pluto gun?

Take the nuts off the end, pull the handle off and unscrew the stem.
The guts fall out.
Don't lose any bits.

Here is a copy of an old Andale page - I couldn't find it on their current website

BeerGunMainten2.jpg

BeerGunMainten2.jpg

Thanks guys - I am struggling to get the spindle body moving - I am not much of a handyman - what tool would you suggest to remove/replace this without damaging it.

Latest posts

Back