How Do U Clean At 45 L Tooheys Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchiu

Reaction score
got a 45 or 40 L ( not sure) keg from a friend. they are the tooheys one.. has the sign on it..wonder if anybody knows how to clean them.. and how to open them... got the keg adapter micromatic thing but how can you clean it since it does not have a lid that is removable liek normal kegs?

any ideas would help thanks

mchiu,

Remember to release the pressure in a safe manner before U attempt to take the spear out.

R U gonna do a double batch in the keg, or just 1/2 fill it with a single batch?

Seth

And lay the keg down on its side to release the pressure

Or like me get a face full of stale megga swill <_<

Batz

Batz is right, i made the mistake of assuming that the keg would be full of gas, but didn't think about there being beer in there. As a result, i had a mega swill shower. Was hahn judging by the smell, so wasn't too bad haha. I've converted 4 or 5 now, and yeah, be very careful. I use a big screwdriver, wrap a bunch of rags around it, then shove it down in the release valve. Once its empty, you can do whatever you want then.

hi

i am going to fill the keg right up... I managed to push down the rubber ring to relase all the pressure but still not able to turn the round thing in the middle to release the lock to dismantle it.

If its a tooheys keg try a oil filter wrench around the outside of the keg centre. This should spin it free of the body

Ok. This is what I just done:

1. Used a big set of stilsons to loosten the big flat ring part just enough to let the gas out.
2. Undone it all the way and found the spear woundn't come out (it seemed to be snagged on I didnt know what)
3. got a small pair of vice grips and used them (open just wide enough to go oround that middle button thing)
4. pushed down on the rubber and got a grip on the middle button thingy with the vice grips and while holding the outside still turned the middle clockwise to release the mechanism.
It all just come apart easy then.

Putting it back together was a different matter.
I couldnt get the spear and put it together and put it back into the keg because it has a little tounge which was my problem getting it appart.
So just hacksawed it off and all seems good.

I don't know if this was the right thing to do or not but it seems to work.

I wont know if its right until I get a coupling to suit but heres hoping

Cheers

Latest posts

Back