How Do I Know If I Have Bottled Too Early?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it's an ale you don't need to lager, so yes, you can leave it at room temp while you're brewing other stuff (providing your place doesn't get stupidly hot). It won't go bad and as for the explosion concern, even if you did fridge it fermentation could continue (albeit slowly) and they may still explode. If you're really worried about bombs, do as Pete said and recap 'em.

Does this mean literally popping the tops and recapping the beer? And this wont end in flat beer at point of intended consumption, some weeks or a month later???

Sounds logical but I can't help but think about bottles of opened coke which ultimately go flat, no matter how tight the cap is on...

id be more concerned with the fluctuating temperatures than an FG of 1012.

If you are concerned, cover the bottles with a blanket or towel.

ed: I see pete prefers sheets... :rolleyes:
You got a problem with my sheets, Yob? <_<
Egyptian Cotton, dude. It's all in the threadcount. :super:

Ps. Stuck a bottle in the fridge last night, a bit dirty, still had a few shards stuck to it from a previous detonation nearby. (from a different batch thankfully)
Yes I've had a few close calls in the past.

Sounds logical but I can't help but think about bottles of opened coke which ultimately go flat, no matter how tight the cap is on...
The difference is that Coke does not continue to produce CO2 like fermenting beer does (assuming the beers has actually still got fermentables left).

You need to relax a little bit. People's well meaning and sound advice aside, I don;t see any reason for you to be worrying right now. As black_labb says, worry about it only if they start to get over carbed.

Does this mean literally popping the tops and recapping the beer? And this wont end in flat beer at point of intended consumption, some weeks or a month later???

Not having done it before I can't be sure. But here is my logic:

Even after fermentation is complete there is still plenty of yeast suspended. It is this yeast that ferments the added sugars for carbonation. As long as you don't kill the yeast it should ferment whatever sugars are there and therfore make CO2. If it does end up flat, it's because the yeast already fermented most/all of the fermentables and you wouldn't have had bombs anyway.

EDIT: Also, bum is right about the coke and about not worrying till it's over carbed.

Openeing overcarbed PET bottles to let off the co2 is a bloody circus!

You've got about 2 seconds before the BEAST rises. Then, since you roused the yeast - the next day it's got even more pressure.

Better off inviting round ya mates and cooling them all to 1C and pouring them quick!

Back